Hi all, Am planning to use Appium to test my application in mobile. As am very new to this can any plz guide how to select the framework and which one is best for my application. And how do i design it?

Hi all, Am planning to use Appium to test my application in mobile. As am very new to this can any plz guide how to select the framework and which one is best for my application. And how do i design it?

Which language are you planning to use?

Am Using Java, Appium 1.3.7.2, selenium webdriver, Eclipse Luna and working on Samsung Galaxy S4, iphone 5s, 6s device. Can plz suggest me how can i start with. As of now i have configured Appium machine and able open the URL on Samsung device.

can u be bit detailed. Are you going to do web or native or hybrid automation?
What language/client u prefer?

It would be easy to help if u give these information

Actually we already had scripts for web automation which are done in Java. And we run them on IOS using user agent switcher and as well as iphone real device.

No we are planning to Use those scripts for both Android and IOS using Appium.

@sureshjashti Sorry i am late in replying to this post.

I have recently worked on a framework and added to github. It is a single code base framework for integration testing of both android and iOS apps using appium.

• Programming language: Java 7
  • Automation framework: Appium java-client-2.2.0 / Appium server 1.4.8
  • Testing framework: Testng
  • Build tool: Ant 1.9.4

Just clone the repository and you are ready to automate your android and iOS app. Detailed information about the flow and steps to run can be found in README file. Go through it and use if it suits your requirements. Feel free to reach out to me for any help.

Thanks for the Reply shanky! Am done with Android device. Now i have started working with IOS 8.3 device with MAC 10.10.4, and am very new to this. I had a query as mentioned below can plz help on it.

-> Am testing web application on IOS device using safari browser, for this do i really required provisional Profile and Certificate.

Thanks,
Suresh.

Hi @sureshjashti,

I hope this post would help you.

Thank you soo much shankybnl… I will try and let you know once it is done!! :smile:

@shankybnl

Thanks am able to launcher Safari browser in 5s…

Now while executing my existing project scripts… i got below error in console… Can u plz help me on this…

org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Not implemented in this context, try switching into or out of a web view (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information)
Command duration or timeout: 7 milliseconds
Build info: version: ‘2.33.0’, revision: ‘4e90c97’, time: ‘2013-05-22 15:33:32’
System info: os.name: ‘Mac OS X’, os.arch: ‘x86_64’, os.version: ‘10.10.4’, java.version: ‘1.8.0_45’
Driver info: org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver

thanks…
Suresh Jashti.

Hi Shanky,

I am very new to mobile automation and looking for areas and blogs to come up with some proposed framework in house which works well on both android and ios devices with multi devices configuration.

I looked into your framework and found its very interesting but i have few doubts which i wish to clear on the same . if possible can you drop me your contact no on my personal id : [email protected] so i can connect and clarify you on the same .

Appreciate your help.

Thanks and Regards,
Vipul

Hi Suresh,

Have you tried to switch the context to NATIVE_APP and then performing further actions?
Below is the sample code for the same:

IOSDriver iosDriver = (IOSDriver)driver;
iosDriver.context(“NATIVE_APP”);

Thanks,
Shanky

am using below code to launch safari using safari launcher app in 5s.

DesiredCapabilities capabilities = DesiredCapabilities.iphone(); capabilities.setCapability(MobileCapabilityType.PLATFORM_NAME,“ios”); capabilities.setCapability(MobileCapabilityType.DEVICE_NAME,“Device Name”); capabilities.setCapability(MobileCapabilityType.VERSION, “8.3”); capabilities.setCapability(MobileCapabilityType.APP, “/Users/SafariLauncher.app”); capabilities.setCapability(“udid”,“xxxxxxx”); driver = new RemoteWebDriver(new URL(“127.0.0.1:4723/wd/hub”), capabilities);

Am able to launch my test url in safari launcher and able to find the elements on it, but when try to perform any action on the element it throwing above error!! :frowning:

Just wanted to revive this old thread, in case anyone looking out for mobile automation framework. I have made couple of improvements in my framework (https://github.com/shankybnl/MobileAutomationFramework). To list few, it supports both testng and BDD (cucumber) tests, maven as build tool etc.