How to use appium from terminal for testing and GUI for uiautomator simultaneously?

Recently i uninstalled my Appium gui for mac and started testing from terminal. Now, i want to inspect the elements but i dont know how to do that… can any1 help with this ?

You can have both of them installed in your machine but they can’t be run simultaneously on same port. Change the port number of Appium Desktop to 4724 and let terminal continue to run on 4723, this way you can have them running in parallel.

1 Like

It is not working like that… i managed to put different port for terminal and desktop…

iOS - the app is not even starting
Android- the app is starting but ui automator is not starting.

Can you please share the error logs of both iOS and Android

you can start two session at the same time, but only one iOS simulator will run at any point of time.
For Eg: If the automation suite is running on Appium server port 4723 and you try to launch the Appium Desktop Inspector on port 4724, the automation suite will end immediately and Inspector will start showing up.

On Android parallelization is possible, your desired capabilities should be set correctly.

For IOS the error is -----A new session could not be created. Details: Appium’s IosDriver does not support xcode version 8.3.2. Apple has deprecated UIAutomation. Use the “XCUITest” automationName capability instead.

… I have used automationName correctly.

For android – there is no any error log … nothing happens except app open in phone when i click start session

“Appium’s IosDriver does not support xcode version 8.3.2” - Can you update your xcode and try again?

What’s the version of Appium Server?

Android - In Appium Inspector -> app will lauch and stay open for your to get the element id’s. So its working as expected.

iOS - i am updating
Android- I cannot see the UI automator starting… only app starts and it loads and loads.

Terminal appium version: 1.7.0 https://github.com/appium/appium/releases/tag/v1.7.0

Gui appium version : 1.2.1 https://github.com/appium/appium-desktop/releases/tag/v1.2.1

After i updated the xcode to 9.0.

A new session could not be created. Details: Appium’s IosDriver does not support xcode version 9.0. Apple has deprecated UIAutomation. Use the “XCUITest” automationName capability instead.

add this to your Desired Capabilities:
automationName: ‘XCUITest’

I wrote that … i am using that desired capabilities but still getting the error.

can please share your desired capabilities here

{
“platformName”: “iOS”,
“deviceName”: “iPhone 6”,
“noReset”: false,
“showXcodeLog”: true,
"automationName ": “XCUITest”,
“xcodeSigningId”: “iPhone Developer”,
“app”: “/XX/XX/XX/XX”,
“platformVersion”: “10.3.2”
}

{
‘platformName’: ‘iOS’,
‘deviceName’: ‘iPhone 6’,
‘automationName’: ‘XCUITest’,
‘platformVersion’: ‘10.3’,
‘noReset’: ‘true’,
}

Start the Appium server from terminal by typing ‘appium’ command. Ensure that Appium 1.7.0 is starting on terminal on port 4723

If error happens agin, please share the full error logs for debugging.

I can run the test easily from terminal … it doesnot have any problem … i have problem to inspect the element for further test cases … previously i used only GUI … i uninstalled it and then used terminal. I installed GUI again and trying to use it.

I also tried with your desired capabilities … but error is :

Sdk ‘10.3.2’ was not in list of simctl sdks

got it +1

Appium Desktop doesn’t support Xcode 9 yet. Try the following workaround:

1. Uninstall current version of XCode
2. Open https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?name=Xcode
3. Download xpi for 8.3.3 (or any other version you like)
4. Install xpi
5. Move XCode to Applications
6. Restart your OS machine
7. Run Appium Server. Run XCode. Enjoy!
8. Don't upgrade XCode to newer version
9. Wait for Appium to release support for XCode 9.0 and then update XCode to 9.0.

Pasting this from this link:

For inspecting elements alone try the above steps, when running test cases use the terminal.

Work around for your problem, pretty simple than downloading Xcode 8.3.3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGpfjbPsO20

This video solve the below error:

"An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: Xcode version 9.0 is not yet supported"