iOS Simulator Failed To Install The Application

Hello all,

I am working on:

• Macbook Pro with OS version 10.9.4.
  • Xcode 5.1.1
  • Appium Version 1.2.1 (Cygnus)

I have installed appium-1.2.2.dmg and I am using Appium with GUI. The purpose of the test is to start Safari on the iOS Simulator 7.1 and run some tests.
My iOS Settings in Appium are:

• checked “Use Mobile Safari”
  • checked “Show Simulator Log”
    My General Settings are:
  • Server Address: 0.0.0.0
  • Port: 4723
  • checked “Kill Process Using Server Before Launch”
  • checked “New Command Timeout 7200 sec”

Issue #1:
When i launch Appium and the iOS Simulator 7.1 is trying to be started, the Appium is saying:

Failed to initialize Remote WebDriver:
org.openqa.selenium.SessionNotCreatedException: A new session could not be created. (Original error: We don’t have write access to /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator7.1.sdk/Applications/MobileSafari.app, please re-run authorize as temp_admin) (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information)
Command duration or timeout: 527 milliseconds Build info: version: ‘2.42.2’, revision: ‘6a6995d31c7c56c340d6f45a76976d43506cd6cc’, time: ‘2014-06-03 10:52:47’ System info: host: ‘SOFM60280092A’, ip: ‘10.55.56.147’, os.name: ‘Mac OS X’, os.arch: ‘x86_64’, os.version: ‘10.9.4’, java.version: ‘1.6.0_65’
Driver info: io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.ErrorHandler.createThrowable(ErrorHandler.java:204)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.ErrorHandler.throwIfResponseFailed(ErrorHandler.java:156)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:599)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.execute(AppiumDriver.java:95)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.startSession(RemoteWebDriver.java:240)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.(RemoteWebDriver.java:126)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.(RemoteWebDriver.java:153)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.(AppiumDriver.java:49) at

When I go to the /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer directory and I give full permissions to my user which is temp_admin, I restart the Appium and then the issue #2 comes up.

P.S.#1: In the documentation it’s said that from the Appium GUI I can authorise the application. This is not true. There is no such button or setting in the GUI neither there is such a script in the bib directory of the Appium install folder.

Issue #2:

When the MobileSafari.app is authorized for the temp_admin user, I launch again the Appium application and run my JUnit tests. The error is the following:

iOS Simulator Failed To Install The Application

and from the Appium console:

info: Welcome to Appium v1.2.1 (REV 2a4b624a708e580709006b697dc4c9c4e3007863)

debug: Non-default server args: {“defaultDevice”:true,“showSimulatorLog”:true,“defaultCommandTimeout”:7200}

info: Appium REST http interface listener started on 0.0.0.0:4723

info: LogLevel: debug

info: --> POST /wd/hub/session {“desiredCapabilities”:{“loggingPrefs”:{“driver”:“ALL”},“platform”:“MAC”,“platformVersion”:“7.1”,“platformName”:“iOS”,“deviceName”:“iPhone Simulator”,“browserName”:“Safari”,“version”:""}}

warn: Converting cap loggingPrefs to string, since it was an object. This might be a user error. Original value was: {“driver”:“ALL”}

debug: The following desired capabilities were provided, but not recognized by appium. They will be passed on to any other services running on this server. : loggingPrefs, platform, version

debug: Configuring Safari session

debug: Trying to use mobile safari, version 7.1

debug: Looking for built in app MobileSafari

debug: App is not at /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator7.1.sdk/Applications/MobileSafari.app

debug: Couldn’t find original app, but found the temp Appium one so using that

debug: Using mobile safari app at /tmp/Appium-MobileSafari.app

debug: Cleaning mobile safari data files

debug: Determining current user

debug: User is temp_admin

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1-64/Library/Caches/Snapshots/com.apple.mobilesafari

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1-64/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobilesafari/Cache.db*

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1-64/Library/Caches/com.apple.WebAppCache/*.db

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1-64/Library/Safari/*.plist

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1-64/Library/WebKit/LocalStorage/.

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1-64/Library/Library/WebKit/GeolocationSites.plist

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1-64/Library/Cookies/*.binarycookies

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1/Library/Caches/Snapshots/com.apple.mobilesafari

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobilesafari/Cache.db*

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1/Library/Caches/com.apple.WebAppCache/*.db

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1/Library/Safari/*.plist

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1/Library/WebKit/LocalStorage/.

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1/Library/Library/WebKit/GeolocationSites.plist

debug: Deleting /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application\ Support/iPhone\ Simulator/7.1/Library/Cookies/*.binarycookies

debug: Creating new appium session cd5ec19e-65e6-4777-9fdb-6b932750d40d

debug: Removing any remaining instruments sockets

debug: Cleaned up instruments socket /tmp/instruments_sock

debug: Setting Xcode folder

debug: Setting Xcode version

debug: Setting iOS SDK Version

debug: iOS SDK Version set to 7.1

debug: Detecting automation tracetemplate

info: Will try to parse the plist file as XML

debug: Not auto-detecting udid, running on sim

error: Could not parse plist file (as binary) at /tmp/Appium-MobileSafari.app/en.lproj/Localizable.strings

parseFileSync() is deprecated. Use parseStringSync() instead.

error: Could not parse plist file (as XML) at /tmp/Appium-MobileSafari.app/en.lproj/Localizable.strings

debug: Not setting locale

debug: Creating instruments

debug: Preparing uiauto bootstrap

debug: Dynamic bootstrap dir: /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application Support/appium/bootstrap

debug: Dynamic env: {“nodePath”:"/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node/bin/node",“commandProxyClientPath”:"/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-uiauto/bin/command-proxy-client.js",“instrumentsSock”:"/tmp/instruments_sock",“interKeyDelay”:null}

debug: Dynamic bootstrap code: // This file is automatically generated. Do not manually modify!

#import “/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-uiauto/uiauto/bootstrap.js”;

bootstrap({

nodePath: “/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node/bin/node”,

commandProxyClientPath: “/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-uiauto/bin/command-proxy-client.js”,

instrumentsSock: “/tmp/instruments_sock”,

interKeyDelay: null,

});

debug: Dynamic bootstrap path: /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application Support/appium/bootstrap/bootstrap-3fd3829137e4c5d0.js

debug: Reusing dynamic bootstrap: /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application Support/appium/bootstrap/bootstrap-3fd3829137e4c5d0.js

debug: Fixing device was changed from:" iPhone - Simulator - iOS 7.1 " to:“iPhone Retina (4-inch 64-bit) - Simulator - iOS 7.1”

debug: No iOS / app preferences to set

debug: Starting iOS 7.* simulator log capture

warn: Could not parse app Localizable.strings

debug: User specified default device, letting instruments launch it

debug: Checking whether instruments supports our device string

debug: Getting list of devices instruments supports

debug: Instruments is at: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/instruments

debug: Fixing device was changed from:" iPhone - Simulator - iOS 7.1 " to:“iPhone Retina (4-inch 64-bit) - Simulator - iOS 7.1”

debug: Parsed app Info.plist (as binary)

info: Launching instruments

debug: Wrote new app Info.plist with device type

debug: Getting bundle ID from app

debug: Parsed app Info.plist (as binary)

debug: Not installing to real device since we’re on sim

debug: Starting command proxy.

debug: Instruments socket server started at /tmp/instruments_sock

debug: Starting instruments

debug: Instruments is at: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/instruments

debug: Attempting to run app on iPhone Retina (4-inch 64-bit) - Simulator - iOS 7.1

debug: Spawning instruments with command: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/instruments -t /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications/Instruments.app/Contents/PlugIns/AutomationInstrument.bundle/Contents/Resources/Automation.tracetemplate -D /tmp/appium-instruments/instrumentscli0.trace -w iPhone Retina (4-inch 64-bit) - Simulator - iOS 7.1 /tmp/Appium-MobileSafari.app -e UIASCRIPT /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application Support/appium/bootstrap/bootstrap-3fd3829137e4c5d0.js -e UIARESULTSPATH /tmp/appium-instruments

debug: And extra without-delay env: {“DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES”:"/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-instruments/thirdparty/iwd/InstrumentsShim.dylib",“LIB_PATH”:"/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-instruments/thirdparty/iwd"}

debug: And launch timeouts (in ms): {“global”:90000}

debug: [INST STDERR] Instruments Trace Error : Error Starting Recording

debug: [INSTSERVER] Instruments exited with code 253

debug: Killall instruments

debug: Attempting to retry launching instruments, this is retry #1

debug: Killall iPhoneSimulator

debug: Attempting to run app on iPhone Retina (4-inch 64-bit) - Simulator - iOS 7.1

debug: Spawning instruments with command: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/instruments -t /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications/Instruments.app/Contents/PlugIns/AutomationInstrument.bundle/Contents/Resources/Automation.tracetemplate -D /tmp/appium-instruments/instrumentscli0.trace -w iPhone Retina (4-inch 64-bit) - Simulator - iOS 7.1 /tmp/Appium-MobileSafari.app -e UIASCRIPT /Users/temp_admin/Library/Application Support/appium/bootstrap/bootstrap-3fd3829137e4c5d0.js -e UIARESULTSPATH /tmp/appium-instruments

debug: And extra without-delay env: {“DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES”:"/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-instruments/thirdparty/iwd/InstrumentsShim.dylib",“LIB_PATH”:"/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-instruments/thirdparty/iwd"}

debug: Attempting to retry launching instruments, this is retry #2

debug: Attempting to retry launching instruments, this is retry #3

debug: Instruments crashed on startup

My code looks like this:

public static RemoteWebDriver getDriver(
		DesiredCapabilities capabilities) throws Exception {

RemoteWebDriver driver = null;

String browserName = (String) capabilities
			.getCapability(CapabilityType.BROWSER_NAME);
	switch (Browsers.valueOf(browserName.toUpperCase().replaceAll("\\s+",
			""))) {
	case ANDROID:
		driver = new AppiumDriver(getDriverRemoteAccess(),
				capabilities);
		break;
	case IPHONE:
		// desiredCapabilities = DesiredCapabilities.iphone();
		capabilities.setCapability(
				MobileCapabilityType.PLATFORM_VERSION, "7.1");
				MobileCapabilityType.PLATFORM_NAME, "iOS");
		capabilities.setCapability(MobileCapabilityType.DEVICE_NAME,
				"iPhone Simulator");
		// iPhone Retina (4-inch) - Simulator - iOS 7.1
				MobileCapabilityType.BROWSER_NAME, "Safari");
		driver = new AppiumDriver(getDriverRemoteAccess(),
				capabilities);
		driver.manage().timeouts().implicitlyWait(30, TimeUnit.SECONDS);
		if (driver instanceof AppiumDriver) {
			System.out.println("Using Appium driver");
		}
	break;
	}

return driver;
} 

Please advise…

Did you follow the instructions here: http://appium.io/slate/en/master/?java#running-appium-on-mac-os-x
And run: sudo authorize_ios

Also: for bug reports, can you please add tags to your post title? See About the Issues/Bugs category

1 Like

Hi Johan,

I am facing the same issue. I have exactly the same settings and error logs in Appium console. The only difference is, I am using c# bindings instead of java. I have provided the desired capabilities as given on Appium documentation as follows

DesiredCapabilities capabilities = new DesiredCapabilities();
 capabilities.SetCapability("deviceName", "iPhone Simulator");     
 capabilities.SetCapability("platformName", "iOS");
 capabilities.SetCapability("platformVersion", "7.1");
 capabilities.SetCapability("browserName", "safari");
 driver = new AppiumDriver(new Uri(remoteDriverHost), capabilities);

I have started the Appium server from command line Appium &

And the configuration is OSx 10.9, xcode 5.1.

We want to test mobile web application on iPhone and iPads. No native app to build and test with appium.

I have tried following things to fix

1. Reinstalled xcode and command line tools couple of times.
  2. Reinstalled Appium from GUI and npm packages couple of times
  3. Followed the iOS setup instructions on the appium site documentation

Still with no luck. Getting the error “iOS simulator failed to install the application” when the simulator is launched from appium.

When I launch the simulator from xcode, it works fine no issues or errors.

And appium console throws error as

debug: Instruments crashed on startup

Please let me know how to fix this or any workaround for this.

Thanks,
Shrirang

Hey I gotcha fix the problem.

I had to delete the Home/Library/Application Support/iPhoneSimulator folder and re-install xcode and that fixed my problem.

:blush:

1 Like

I have reinstalled the XCode, copied the simulator even under the Applications… Still the same issue.

1 Like