iPhone 6 (iOS 12.4.8) slows down with Appium (v.1.12+)

Hi, i have this issue with the latest Appium version 1.18.0 + XCODE v.11.6 (11E708) on an iPhone 6 with iOS v.12.4.8(16G201).
Im using Appium in Java to make performance-testing tools and those tests had an average of 7 seconds and now its 15 or also 20+…
Basically when Appium builds and starts its own WDA on the phone and starts doing every command that i send, every action on the device become slow. The phone slows down and change its behavior, faking all my results.

What the code does:
Start the server on the local-machine, open a session with the capabilities(below) and then starts testing.

I already used this device with iOS 10 + Appium v.1.9.1 and it worked just fine. I had this issue since the last update(iOS12.4.8). I already tried several different version of Appium (1.9.1, 1.12.1, 1.15.0, 1.15.1, 1.17.0, 1.18.0 and the latest 1.18.0-1) and i tried also with XCODE v.11.3

My capabilities

{
“app”: “***”,
“noReset”: true,
“deviceName”: “***”,
“fullReset”: false,
“wdaLocalPort”: “8102”,
“autoLaunch”: false,
“newCommandTimeout”: 40000,
“platformVersion”: “12.4.8”,
“automationName”: “XCUITest”,
“useNewWDA”: true,
“platformName”: “iOS”,
“udid”: “***”
}

Try to play with wdaEventloopIdleDelay capability value and/or disable animations or any activities that hog the main event loop in the app under test

However, iOS 12 has limited support on devices with the Apple A7 or A8 processors: the iPhone 5S, iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPod Touch (6th generation), iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, 3, and 4.

You should probably update the hardware to be more compatible with iOS 12.

Thank you :wink: I’ll try with this capability and I’ll let you know. Do you know the meaning of all the values?

Thanks for replying, so this can also be cause of bad behavior in a stressed moment on the device :thinking:

I can tell that you didn’t click the link. You should read it for yourself.

In fact, I did it. I cannot change my hardware like you suggested.

Well I hope the other suggestion helps then

I tried to add this capability and i also changed the value stating from 3 to 5 but it didnt change anything in terms of device-response-time.
I also noticed that the phone slows down when i send a spam of commands in series like for example “idevice screenshot”. The phone slows down a lot and start almost freezing and lagging. But this never happened before, it changed everything from the last update! (to version: 12.4.8)

Like i said i cant change the phone and also the iOS version… :frowning:

This is kind of a last resort, but if you do an internet search on ‘iphone 6 slow on iOS 12’ there are a bunch of articles about this. Here’s just one, hopefully at least one of these ideas will work for you:

And if this doesn’t work, there are a number of other articles that are just a search away. Good luck!

1 Like