Timeout while starting app

I’m using appium (and kobiton) to do end to end testing for an expo app. This has been working previously, but I’m getting errors now. I am not sure how to debug this.

The error I receive is:

[debug] [MJSONWP] Encountered internal error running command: Error: Cannot start the 'com.mobilityServices.isicMobility' application. Visit https://github.com/appium/appium/blob/master/docs/en/writing-running-appium/android/activity-startup.md for troubleshooting. Original error: Error executing adbExec. Original error: 'Command '/Users/roelandvanbatenburg/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/adb -P 5037 -s emulator-5554 shell am start -W -n com.mobilityServices.isicMobility/host.exp.exponent.MainActivity -S -a android.intent.action.MAIN -c android.intent.category.LAUNCHER -f 0x10200000' timed out after 20000ms'. Try to increase the 20000ms adb execution timeout represented by 'adbExecTimeout' capability
[debug] [MJSONWP]     at ADB.startApp (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-android-driver/node_modules/appium-adb/lib/tools/apk-utils.js:153:11)

Meanwhile the app is actually launched and is not doing any action (it just displays a text field and some buttons). I’ve tried increasing adbExecTimeout, but to no effect. When I manually run the adb command I get the same problem with the intent not resolving. The app has not significantly changed between working and not working. Searching has not helped me, does anyone have any pointers on what to do?