Appium 1.3.5 instruments startup uses wrong bundleId

Hi there,

I have updated Appium to version 1.3.5 (testing on both iPhone and iPad), but when it’s trying to launch Instruments it uses the wrong bundle id (com.bytearc.SafariLauncher) to launch SafariLauncher:

Spawning instruments with command: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/instruments -t /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications/Instruments.app/Contents/PlugIns/AutomationInstrument.xrplugin/Contents/Resources/Automation.tracetemplate -D /tmp/appium-instruments/instrumentscli0.trace -w 26e3296cc4ee55f7a9a9732a1515fface4c0843e com.bytearc.SafariLauncher -e UIASCRIPT "/Users/FritsBurre/Library/Application Support/appium/bootstrap/bootstrap-3f9fe06b21065da8.js" -e UIARESULTSPATH /tmp/appium-instruments

When I change com.bytearc.SafariLauncher to SafariLauncher in the above line and run it Appium launched SafariLauncher on my device.

Could anyone tell me how the bundle id is retrieved in by Appium to launch with Instruments and how I could change it so it will launch SafariLauncher?

Thanks a lot,

Heleen

Hi Heleen,

Use “SafariLauncher” as the bundleId in driver capabilities.
Omitting the bundleId makes Appium 1.3.4 default to “SafariLauncher” whereas Appium 1.3.5. somehow defaults to “com.bytearc.SafariLauncher”.
This will hopefully start Instruments without throwing an error like:
Instruments Usage Error : Specified target process is invalid: com.bytearc.SafariLauncher

regards,
Guido Hultink
Blue Billywig

Hi Guido,

This solved my problem. Thanks a lot!

Heleen