Appium - Developer Certificate issues

ipa should be built with developer certificate, and device should have provisioning profile.

Hi kiril ,
first of all thnx for the reply, and Im new to iOS automation i don’t have much idea.So according to you, provision profile should be installed in testing device by us? my devloper has done the same according to the comment made by Mayuresh_Shirodkar in the.link The app must be signed with a development identity .

Thanks

or Do i also need to install the provision profile in my device?

Your device should be associated with the Apple developer account.

Hi
I understood the terms provisioning profile and developer certificate. But my problem is I have an IPA file which consists of provisioning profile(with My device UDID) with developer certificate which i cant launch on my device. So do i also need to install provision profile on my device also?

No you don’t need to install provisioning profile on your device.It just needs to be on the machine(PC)

1 Like

Mayuresh,

I have test_dev.mobileprovision profile in my mac. I have IPA file which has the same Provision profile test_dev.mobileprovision(which has my UDID and developer certificate). Now for automation I’m starting the appium server "appium -U (UDID) --ipa(ipa file) " and try to run the code Im getting the error as “Target failed to run.Permisson to debug [app name] was denied.The app must be signed with a development identity (i.e. iOS Developer)”

If you getting the same error, probably still feel that the source code is not built with a proper developer certificate and a distribution profile is being used somewhere in the process.

okay thnx mayuresh :slight_smile: As per the discussion please confirm me that .app with provision profile(with UDID and dev certificate) is enough ? for automation. and nothing else is needed. and for doing this I dont need any developer account rite?

Hi @mummana

I was following this post as I am facing same issue. so did you get the app file signed by Apple developer id using provision profile with the test device UDID ?

Did you launch the app using appium ?

Hi neha, Instead of .IPA file i asked my developer to give me .app file with provisioned profile with my UDID and signed with developer certificate. Now Im able to successfully automate my application.

1 Like

@mummana… Wow that is a great news. I will try that too. Thanks for replying :smile:

Hi @Mayuresh_Shirodkar, @mummana

Does anyone of you have an idea approx how long it takes for a developer to sign the .ipa or .app file using their apple dev id and using the provision profile to add one UDID of a test device?

If it is real quick thing an iOS developer can do, then I can request the developer to get it sooner.

it doesn’t take much time to sign the file. I asked my dev to do so and he gave in next 15 mins

Wow That is quick. Thanks for sharing

Hi @Mayuresh_Shirodkar @mummana

Can I create a .app file of enterprise iOS app test build and use it to run appium test on iOS Simulator? Any thoughts on this ?

I have created a step by step tutorial and Youtube video on how to correctly sign your App’s .ipa file to satisfy the statement “The app must be signed with a development identity (i.e. iOS Developer)”.

2 Likes

Hi All,

We’re still facing this issue even signed with provisioning profiles and mapped with UDID - “Target failed to run.Permisson to debug [app name] was denied.The app must be signed with a development identity (i.e. iOS Developer)”.

We do have followed http://dentedghost.blogspot.com/2015/06/appium-testers-perspective-for-ios_14.html , which was posted by Dented ghost. but no luck.

Could you please help us on this if any other possible ways are there to pointing us to the right direction !!!

Regards,
Bhaskar.

@bhaskar, try to install *.p12 (private key or the same key which is used by devs to sign your app) to your key chain, and try again.

Hi Anyone,

1. Can you please suggest why we required provision certificate to access the iOS app.
  2. If I have a source code then also is it mandatory that we need provision certifcate to access in Real device.