Can't find main.js /appium folder

Hello. So I recently switched from the appium GUI to the appium npm version.
I installed it with the npm install -g appium command, and I’m able to run the “appium &” command in the terminal to start the server and run my tests, so everything seems fine.

Until the point I try to start my server programatically I find a problem, I can’t find the appium.app folder and the main.js file I need in my appiumserver constructor to start the server. What am I doing wrong?
I found a similar thread Unable to launch appium programatically on mac due to missing file appium.js in "Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/bin/"
But can’t understand how they solved their problem.

Appreciate all help loads, regards.
Im using OSX

run command “which appium” on your terminal , It will show you the path it got installed

Please uninstall once and download again with npm only .
then enter node -v in the command prompt
u will get version number that u have installed if u r getting ryt then move forward nd give the path of ur apk in android setting and then run the node.
It will start successfully …

Hello.

Thanks for your help.
I used this command and found my appium folder (it was in “/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium)
I try start my server with
AppiumServer _appiumServer = new AppiumServer(new File(”/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/bin/npm-cli.js"),new File("/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/lib/main.js"),serverArguments);

_appiumServer.startServer();

But I now I get this message
aug 11, 2017 2:24:29 EM com.github.genium_framework.appium.support.server.AppiumServer startServer INFO: Server is starting... aug 11, 2017 2:24:29 EM com.github.genium_framework.appium.support.server.AppiumServer startServer INFO: Server has not started yet. Trying again in one second...

This continues until I get ServerTimeoutException, any ideas how I can fix this problem?
Regards rickesnick

you may try using AppiumServiceBuilder

AppiumServiceBuilder builder = new AppiumServiceBuilder()
.withAppiumJS(new File("/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/build/lib/main.js"))
.withArgument(GeneralServerFlag.APP, path of your app );
appiumDriverLocalService = builder.build();
appiumDriverLocalService.start();

Thanks. Solved this issue by doing the following things
Using AppiumDriverLocalService

service = AppiumDriverLocalService
.buildService(new AppiumServiceBuilder()
.usingDriverExecutable(new File("/usr/local/bin/node"))
.withAppiumJS(
new File(
“/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/build/lib/main.js”))
.withIPAddress(“127.0.0.1”).usingPort(4723));
service.start();

Hey, I`m new to Appium.
I have a question: on windows, where should I point this file to?
I see it is “/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/build/lib/main.js” for linux.
Maybe it is a stupid question, but if I want to start the service with AppiumServiceBuilder, should I install appium before that? I want to integrate Appium in a Java project and I’m not sure if I should provide installation support for the client or it is working directly with AppiumServiceBuilder.
Thank you!

install it first by cmd entring command = npm install -g appium

you will find main.js here :

C:Users/admin/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/appium/build/lib/main.js";

Thank you, Chetan! I really appreciate it!