Installed appium@beta but the GUI interface is still 1.5 version iOS

Appium stopped working once I updated to XCode8. So I installed the beta so I could use desired_caps[‘automationName’] = ‘XCUITest’. When I start the appium server from the terminal it runs 1.6.3 the test case will run but can’t find my xpath. So I want to run the inspector from the Appium GUI but it is running 1.5.
I try but I get this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/mcroff/SupervisorCode/tfmobileapp/tests/Automative Test/maintest.py”, line 18, in
wd = webdriver.Remote(‘http://0.0.0.0:4723/wd/hub’, desired_caps)
File “build/bdist.macosx-10.11-intel/egg/appium/webdriver/webdriver.py”, line 36, in init
File “/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/selenium-3.0.0.b2-py2.7.egg/selenium/webdriver/remote/webdriver.py”, line 90, in init
self.start_session(desired_capabilities, browser_profile)
File “/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/selenium-3.0.0.b2-py2.7.egg/selenium/webdriver/remote/webdriver.py”, line 177, in start_session
response = self.execute(Command.NEW_SESSION, capabilities)
File “/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/selenium-3.0.0.b2-py2.7.egg/selenium/webdriver/remote/webdriver.py”, line 236, in execute
self.error_handler.check_response(response)
File “/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/selenium-3.0.0.b2-py2.7.egg/selenium/webdriver/remote/errorhandler.py”, line 192, in check_response
raise exception_class(message, screen, stacktrace)
selenium.common.exceptions.WebDriverException: Message: A new session could not be created. Details: The desiredCapabilities object was not valid for the following reason(s): automationName XCUITest not part of Appium,Selendroid,WebDriverAgent.

[Finished in 0.3s with exit code 1]
[shell_cmd: python -u “/Users/mcroff/SupervisorCode/tfmobileapp/tests/Automative Test/maintest.py”]
[dir: /Users/mcroff/SupervisorCode/tfmobileapp/tests/Automative Test]
[path: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin]

I am sure I am making a basic mistake and would love some help.
Thanks!

How are you launching Appium server? If you are clicking the launch button from the GUI, that’s not the way. Set a breakpoint in your test and run to it, then open Appium GUI, don’t click launch and just click the inspector.

Yes, you are correct that I am clicking the launch button from the GUI. This used to work before updating to the Beta 1.6.

What is the command to open Appium GUI at the break point?

I think I’m getting the problem. You don’t start Appium from within your tests, correct? Let me amend my steps:

1. Start Appium from command line, like you said:
  1. Open Appium GUI application. Do not click, ‘Launch’.
  2. Click ‘Inspector’ button

Yes, thank you for the clarification. Following those steps, the inspector doesn’t launch - Could not start a new session.

Found it! I had the wrong platform version in iOS settings. Thanks for you help!

hallo @mcroff i had the same problem, i installed the last Version of Appium 1.6.0 beta3, which works only under Terminal when i start the Appium-GUI, it shows the Version 1.5. How can i setup my Simulator to work succefully with Appium 1.6.0 Beta3 and IOS10?
Thanks you.

Hello @adnen,
My issue was that I was trying to launch the Appium server from the GUI. Apparently, that doesn’t work any longer. So I launch Appium from the terminal, then open Appium GUI and select the inspector from the GUI. The key is not to ‘Launch’ the Appium server from the GUI.

My second issue that the Inspector was not starting was user error. I had XCode set to use iPhone 6 iOS 10 but in the iOS settings in Appium GUI, the Platform Version was 9.3. Once I made those match, I was able to run the inspector.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much @mcroff. I will try out and give you a feedback, any other setups to do?
I am new in appium can you please send any test script with python how to automate an iOS device?

Thank you:-)

wreed http://discuss.appium.io/users/wreed
October 14

mcroff:

What is the command to open Appium GUI at the break point?

I think I’m getting the problem. You don’t start Appium from within your
tests, correct? Let me amend my steps:

1. Start Appium from command line, like you said:
    mcroff:

I start the appium server from the terminal it runs 1.6.3

1. Open Appium GUI application. Do not click, ‘Launch’.
  2. Click ‘Inspector’ button

Visit Topic
http://discuss.appium.io/t/installed-appium-beta-but-the-gui-interface-is-still-1-5-version-ios/12637/4
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To
mcroff http://discuss.appium.io/users/mcroff
October 14
Yes, you are correct that I am clicking the launch button from the GUI.
This used to work before updating to the Beta 1.6. What is the command to
open Appium GUI at the break point?

Visit Topic
http://discuss.appium.io/t/installed-appium-beta-but-the-gui-interface-is-still-1-5-version-ios/12637/4
or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
http://discuss.appium.io/email/unsubscribe/b541f4526c358a95a38be3b73604437dd42c5bacd50054fcda76201cabd62c4a

Hello, i have tried the steps listed in this topic but still doesnt work for me , it gives error that inspector is sending automationName value of appium which isnt supported.ive tried starting server from terminal with explicit parameter for this of xcuitest but same error happens.
Any idea how i could make it work?

Didnt try with breakpoint in test though how could i do that? Thread.sleep? Im using java.

Edit: I also tried with breakpoint while scenario runs, and opening inspector without clicking launch button, same error:

SessionNotCreatedError: A new session could not be created. Details: Appium’s IosDriver does not support xcode version 8.0. Apple has deprecated UIAutomation. Use the “XCUITest” automationName capability instead.

1 Like

Hi,

I have installed appium 1.6.0 version and have the desktop app on MAC version 1.5.3.
I have the IOS settings by pointing the ios app and the platform version is 9.3 for the device iphone 7.

I start the appium from terminal (it starts the 1.6.0 version) and clicked on the Inspector in GUI.
but it gives me an error saying,

[Appium] automationName: ‘Appium’
[Appium] deviceName: ‘iPhone 7’
[BaseDriver] Capability ‘newCommandTimeout’ changed from string (‘7200’) to integer (7200). This may cause unexpected behavior
[BaseDriver] Session created with session id: 4b2e2d5f-5c26-49ac-8993-97b00087c5cb
[debug] [iOS] Xcode version set to 8.0
[iOS] SessionNotCreatedError: A new session could not be created. Details: Appium’s IosDriver does not support xcode version 8.0. Apple has deprecated UIAutomation. Use the “XCUITest” automationName capability instead.
at IosDriver.createSession$ (lib/driver.js:120:28)
at tryCatch (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:67:40)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.invoke [as _invoke] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:315:22)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.prototype.(anonymous function) [as next] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:100:21)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.invoke (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:136:37)
at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:103:7)
{ SessionNotCreatedError: A new session could not be created. Details: Appium’s IosDriver does not support xcode version 8.0. Apple has deprecated UIAutomation. Use the “XCUITest” automationName capability instead.
at IosDriver.createSession$ (lib/driver.js:120:28)
at tryCatch (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:67:40)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.invoke [as _invoke] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:315:22)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.prototype.(anonymous function) [as next] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:100:21)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.invoke (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:136:37)
at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:103:7) jsonwpCode: 33 }

Any idea, how can I update the IOS driver in GUI should use the 1.6.0?
appreciate your help, thanks.

I am facing the same issue.
I am using the following (in case my env is the issue)
Appium 1.6.1
Appium 1.5.3 (GUI)
XCode 8.1
macOS (El Capitan 10.11.6)

Try run with terminal , $ appium
And then click on inspector.

This was my situation
macOS Sierra version 10.12(16A323)
Appium v1.5.3
Xcode Version 8.0 (8A218A)

and the solution worked fine,
https://medium.com/@chenchaoyi/the-options-of-inspecting-ios-10-app-with-appium-1-6-534ba166b958#.82oqogqhp