React Native android apps - Finding an element with tag name using latest Appium version and Espresso driver - throws exception

I am trying to find a text view element on React Native android app using driver.findElementByTagName("") method but have a problem. Referred to the below issue which was fixed recently, and tried the solution.

Environment:
Appium version: 1.9.0-beta.1
Desktop OS/version used to run Appium: Mac OS X 10.12.6
Node.js version (unless using Appium.app|exe): 10.9.0
Mobile platform/version under test: Android 5.1.1
Real device or emulator/simulator: Real device
Appium CLI or Appium.app|exe: Appium CLI
Appium java client: 6.1.0
Selenium-java: 3.14.0
Espresso Server v1.0.0-beta.13 (which came with the Appium installation)
I am using Espresso driver capability as below and have provided all the app capabilities.
capabilities.setCapability(“automationName”, “Espresso”);
When I call the method driver.findElementByTagName(""), getting the below exception.

org.openqa.selenium.InvalidSelectorException: Locator strategy cannot be empty (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information)
Command duration or timeout: 93 milliseconds
For documentation on this error, please visit: http://seleniumhq.org/exceptions/invalid_selector_exception.html

Appium Error Log says:
[W3C] Encountered internal error running command: ProxyRequestError: Could not proxy command to remote server. Original error: 500 - {“id”:“00508820-8a8d-48db-b7ac-4bc5ab1fbaba”,“sessionId”:null,“status”:32,“value”:“Locator strategy cannot be empty”}

Am I missing something? Is this the right way to achieve the outcome? Please suggest. Let me know if more info is required.