Swipe broken on 1.3.3? ios 8.1

Thanks tbao,
If you can send me code sample that will show how to use the AppleScript it will be most appreciated.
Thanks again…

@menypeled, Here is the java function to get the center coordinate of the simulator:

private static Point getCenterCoordinateOfIosSimulator()
throws ScriptException {
ScriptEngineManager mgr = new ScriptEngineManager();
ScriptEngine engine = mgr.getEngineByName(“AppleScript”);

// Force the simulator's window to be in front of others
    String script = "tell application \"iOS Simulator\" \n activate \n end tell";
    engine.eval(script);
    // Get simulator's position
    script = "tell application \"System Events\" to tell application process \"iOS Simulator\" \n get position of window 1 \n end tell";
    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
    List<Long> simulatorPosition = (List<Long>) engine.eval(script);
    // Get simulator's size
    script = "tell application \"System Events\" to tell application process \"iOS Simulator\" \n get size of window 1 \n end tell";
    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
    List<Long> simulatorSize = (List<Long>) engine.eval(script);
    // Calculate center
    int x = simulatorPosition.get(0).intValue()
            + simulatorSize.get(0).intValue() / 2;
    int y = simulatorPosition.get(1).intValue()
            + simulatorSize.get(1).intValue() / 2;
    return new Point(x, y);
}

After you have the center’s coordinate, you can use java.awt.Robot to move the mouse to that position, and then move it up or down accordingly as:

Point point = getCenterCoordinateOfIosSimulator();
Robot robot = new Robot();
robot.mouseMove(point.getX(), point.getY() + offsetFromCentre);
Thread.sleep(200);
robot.mousePress(InputEvent.BUTTON1_DOWN_MASK);
Thread.sleep(200);
robot.mouseMove(point.getX(), point.getY());
Thread.sleep(200);
robot.mouseMove(point.getX(), point.getY() - offsetFromCentre);
Thread.sleep(200);
robot.mouseRelease(InputEvent.BUTTON1_DOWN_MASK);

guys, both swipe and Touchaction work for me.
Appium 1.3.1 or 1.3.3. java-client 2.1.0. iPhone 5S, iOS 7.1 or 8.1

@fangmobile, I don’t know how you can manage to make swipe gesture work on simulator, but according to the last comment on this thread: iOS 8 swipe / scrollTo it seems like we can’t make it and I can confirm it with my observation so far

Thanks.

Appium 1.3.3, java-client 2.0.0, Simulator with iPhone 6, iOS 8.1 - swipe does not work
Appium 1.3.3, java-client 2.0.0, Simulator with iPhone 5, iOS 8.1 - swipe does work.

I did perform just driver.swipe(100, 400, 0, 50, 500).
Additionally I notice:

1. if delta on coordinates less then 320 pixels, swipe does not work.
  2. swipe does not work for duration < 500 ms.

Hope my finding help someone…

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for posting! I’ll try with your suggestion and see if it works. I really don’t like my workaround to use AppleScript now

swipe still dosent work for me i tried all the above methods
:-1:(

Using ios7-real device

I just updated from appium 1.3.1 to appium 1.3.4 and now execute_script: ‘mobile: swipe’ doesn’t work, because it was deprecated I guess.

But TouchActions swipe only works with x, y and not with elements. Even doing press(element).move_to(.... it doesn’t work, just says "private method 'select' called for...."

Any idea on how to perform basic swipe on elements now?

ok, so apparently the swipe in documentation http://www.rubydoc.info/github/appium/ruby_lib/Appium/TouchAction#swipe-instance_method is wrong

Instead of

swipe(start_x, start_y, end_x, end_y, duration)

should be

swipe(start_x, start_y, height, width, duration)

because it is adding the last two coordinates to the first ones (at least to me).

So I did a quick method for simple swipe with elements where I get the location.y, location x, size.height, size.width of the element and work with that. Not perfect :expressionless: but if there are any native support it will have to do.

This is an example of what I have found to work in Ruby with 1.33/1.34:

abc = Appium::TouchAction.new
abc.swipe :start_x => startX, :start_y => startY, :end_x => endX, :end_y => endY, :duration => duration
abc.perform

Its weird, sometimes it ends up using one way or another, like it uses a different strategy depending on the coordinates given. I still didn’t explore it further in order to discover the behavior.

Those who are looking for the same kind of solution for android, Below video may help

1 Like

def swipeElement
$appiumDriver.swipe :start_x => 50, :start_y => 145, :end_x => 50, :end_y => 450, :duration => 500
end

I am using: Appium 1.3.4 and iOS 7.1 with iphone 5S simulator.
It taps on the x,y coordinate location but does not perform a swipe.

Am I missing anything?

This is a known issue that Apple broke with Xcode 5 over a year ago: https://github.com/appium/appium/issues/1696

It should work on a real device but I have not had luck with that yet.

Thanks @brentlavelle.

I am using
action.press(startX,startY).waitAction(500).moveTo(EndX,EndY).release().perform();
And it works for me to swipe in ipad2 simulator

2 Likes

@skaur1328

Thanks for your suggestion, i have tried a lot of solutions for real devices, none worked, except your solution.

Here is my code for anyone who needs an example.

if(driver.findElements(By.className("UIAPageIndicator")).get(0).getAttribute("value").equals("page 1 of 3")) {
			TouchAction tch = new TouchAction(driver);
			((TouchAction) tch ).press(startX,startY).waitAction(500).moveTo(endX,endY).release().perform();
		}

Be careful what wait time you use, since some scroll effects may need a higher value so they finish and not cause issues.
Also when swiping to a new page, use a large are to swipe, meaning start x and start y should be as far apart as possible.

ENV:
Appium 1.4.0
OSX : 10.10.5 (14F27)
iPhone 5 C 8.4.1

Thanks,
–Gery–

This works in Rubymine
Swipe up a little
Appium::TouchAction.new.swipe(start_x: 150, start_y: 400, end_x: 150, end_y: 100, duration: 500).perform

Simulator Version 9.2 (SimulatorApp-643) iOS 8.3
Appium Version 1.4.13 (Draco)
Xcode Version 7.2 (7C68)