The app must be signed with a development identity

So I understand what the issue is but need some clarification on how to fix it. I’ve downloaded the appropriate certs and provisions but still get this error. Now I don’t develop the app on my machine, the developers just push it to mine, any suggestions??

info: [debug] [INST STDERR] 2015-01-30 17:28:47.382 instruments[2873:789353] WebKit Threading Violation - initial use of WebKit from a secondary thread.
info: [debug] [INST STDERR] Instruments Trace Error : Target failed to run: Permission to debug com.xxxx.xxxx was denied. The app must be signed with a development identity (e.g. iOS Developer).

1 Like

Even i was facing the same issue.
Figuered out that while creating the build the build the developer needs to sign the build.
Steps followed by me:
1.Select Project->Build settings and add required details under code signing identity(Provisioning profile and developer certificate).
2.Select Target->Build settings and same steps.
3.Then build the app.

This helped me out a bit:

The gist here is that get-task-allow must be set to true (allows iOS apps to be debugged) and I had to also remove aps-environment -> production key values as well.(no push notifications)

Good luck!

Thanks for your input, I’ll be getting around to it this week so I’ll give you an update.

Thanks again!

my client is in onshore and he has given me an .IPA file provision profiled(with my device UDID) with developer certificate not with distribution(As mentioned in the appium docs).The problem is when I try to run the Appium code I’m getting “Target failed to run.Permisson to debug [app name] was denied.The app must be signed with a development identity (i.e. iOS Developer)” error. Any suggestions what might be the problem? And also please let me know.

1)Do i still need a developer account if i have a signed .ipa file? 2)While automation with appium, do I need any additional certificates from developers?

1 Like

so while automating do i need anything else to do after doing this? i mean like installing any certificates in device?

No certificates need to be installed in the phone except your phones UDID should be mentioned in the provisioning profile which will be used to sign the app.

One question: You have the .ipa but how are you running the application through Appium.What steps are you following.As i normally mention the .app path and not .ipa.

Also i had build the app using the source code.
If you follow the steps i have mentioned above,It will create a .app file of the application under
Library->Developer->Xcode->Derived Data->Latest build folder->Build->Products.

thanks mayuresh :),

we don’t have any source code to build it and client is located somewhere in delhi. Actually i told him to give me an ipa file with provision profile (with my UDID and developer certificate installed). And for running the Appium server i’m using the command “appium -U (UDID) --ipa (ipa filepath)” please let me know if m doing anything wrong?

Ok.
Normally when the error message "Target failed to run.Permisson to debug [app name] was denied.The app must be signed with a development identity (i.e. iOS Developer)"comes on appium.it is actually the Instruments(Xcode) which is throwing the error and not Appium.So you will first need to verify that your build is correct.

Follow the below steps:
1.Install the app on the iPhone using the .ipa file.
2.Open the Xcode which is compatible with iOS version on the iPhone.
3.Right click on Xcode and open developer tools->Instruments.
4.Click on Automation and connect your device.Search for the Target app to be tested and click on record.
5.If the xcode is able to launch the app that means the app is properly signed and it can be used on xcode.Else it means it is not signed correctly.

Then you could ask the client to provide you with .app file for the same.which can then be used with appium. The .app file will be present in the path i have mentioned in the above comment.

1 Like

For doing this do i need dev account??.

Oh so you mean instead of .ipa file if i get the .app(signed with dev profile) file would be enough? Please confirm . If yes ill immediatly ask my developer to that.

Thanx alot for helping me

For performing the above steps i have mentioned no need for any dev accounts if you have Xcode installed that should be enough.
Its not necessary that you must have a .app,I just mentioned it because thats how i have perfermed tests on appium.

If you want you can try with .app signed with dev profile using Xcode.Hope that works.

I’ve added additional steps to Mayuresh recommendation to successfully sign an IOS for Appium testing.

Update all the Manage Schemes to Debug in Xcode

1. Product -> Scheme -> Edit Scheme

After Archiving the App use Xcode 5.1.1 to distribute. This enables you to choose the correct provisioning profile.

A complete step by step description is available at the Dentedghost blog and at the youtube video

HI,

Our .ipa is signed with developer identity with debug mode but still receiving below error

All it does it open our app 3 times and instruments gets crashed

info: [debug] [INST STDERR] 2015-11-26 15:16:27.254 instruments[26212:879059] WebKit Threading Violation - initial use of WebKit from a secondary thread.

info: [debug] [INST STDERR] 2015-11-26 15:16:27.856 instruments[26212:879064] Attempting to change event horizon while disengage

info: [debug] [INST STDERR] Instruments Trace Error : Target failed to run: Permission to debug com.xxxxxxx.app was denied. The app must be signed with a development identity (e.g. iOS Developer).
info: [debug] [INST STDERR] 2015-11-26 15:16:27.856 instruments[26212:878991] Attempting to change event horizon while disengage

Any help would be appreciated

I would try 2 things:
1)I would go into Xcode and view the project and see if “can be debugged” is set to yes (or alternatively, View the raw entitlements.plist file by unzipping the IPA and see if get-task-allow is true).

2)In Xcode open up the instruments developer tool, choose automation choose your device. You will get prompted to allow debugging for your device. Select ok.

Good luck!

Hi,

We are facing the below issue even with a developer signed build with udid enabled:

1. We are getting error “You do not have permission to debug. Your app should be signed with correct development certificate”.

Is it possible to automate iOS app with appium for which debug mode is not enabled? Build has been created with developer certificate and is having correct provisioning profile(with udid).