Appium only show native app context, is does not recognises the webview context for android app

Set contextNames = driver.getContextHandles();
for (String contextName : contextNames) {
System.out.println(“Starting app”+contextNames);
} /// above code only returns NATIVE APP, even though for login verification the app switched to webview context, but appium does not recognises.

below is the details:

File appDir = new File(“C://sdk//build-tools//android-4.3”);
File app = new File(appDir, “Test.apk”);
//Set up desired capabilities and pass the Android app-activity and app-package to Appium
DesiredCapabilities capabilities = new DesiredCapabilities();
capabilities.setCapability(“app”, app.getAbsolutePath());
capabilities.setCapability(CapabilityType.ACCEPT_SSL_CERTS, true);
capabilities.setCapability(CapabilityType.BROWSER_NAME, “Android”);
// capabilities.setCapability(CapabilityType.VERSION, “4.3”);
capabilities.setCapability(CapabilityType.PLATFORM, “Windows”);
capabilities.setCapability(CapabilityType.SUPPORTS_NETWORK_CONNECTION,true);
capabilities.setCapability(CapabilityType.SUPPORTS_WEB_STORAGE,true);
capabilities.setCapability(CapabilityType.SUPPORTS_SQL_DATABASE,true);
capabilities.setCapability(“app-package”, “com.home.simple”); // This is package name of your app (you can get it from apk info app)
capabilities.setCapability(“app-wait-activity”, “com.dynamicapp.Activity”);
capabilities.setCapability(“app-activity”, “com.dynamicapp.Activity”);
capabilities.setCapability(“device”,“Android”);
capabilities.setCapability(“platformName”, “Android”);
capabilities.setCapability(“deviceType”,“phone”);
capabilities.setCapability(“autoWebview”, true);
capabilities.setCapability(“deviceName”, “AVD”);
capabilities.setCapability(“newCommandTimeout”,24000);
capabilities.setCapability(“autoWebviewTimeout”,6000);

// This is Launcher activity of your app (you can get it from apk info app)

try {
		 driver = new AppiumDriver(new URL("http://127.0.0.1:4723/wd/hub"), capabilities);

} catch(Exception e) {
		   	 e.printStackTrace();
		    }
2 Likes

Does your app is set with setWebContentsDebuggingEnabled to true

1 Like

I have the same issue when i run from the emulator. When I run it with the device. appium successfully identifies the webview. Please let me know if you come across a solution. Thank you.

Even i have the same issue,For me Appium gives Native as well as Webview on Emulator,But on Real device it gives just Native view.(Android device 4.4.2)

2 Likes

The issue happens with me, but not persistently. It happens from time to time, but I can see webviews using Appium newest release.

Not sure what is causing that inconsistent behavior though ???

I have the same issue as Mayuresh_Shirodkar, I can see the WEBVIEW on an ANDROID emulator but when I try to run the same test against a real device with the same software level and app, only the NATIVE context is found. (Android 4.4.2)

3 Likes

Hmm. Do you try to access the WEBVIEW context right away? Try adding a couple-second delay before requesting the webview.

Hi jonahss, Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have tried adding a ten second delay between opening the app and trying to access the webview but unfortunately that didn’t help. As I said, this works without any issues on an emulator running the same version of the app and the same API and software level as the real device.

I also tried upgrading to the latest version of appium (1.3 beta), I might try going to an older version and see if that helps.

I’m running into a similar issue, except I never change context because I’ve never had it work (chromedriver never connects and there’s nothing useful in the debug log). I’m stumped as to why I can still navigate and manipulate webview elements without ever changing context on nexus 5 running 4.4.2. The nexus is unlocked (I saw some info on forums claiming this “should” fix chromedriver issues, but it didn’t help me. Is this an actual requirement?)
See:

I strongly suggest against going to an older version! You’ll end up needing to update for newer features anyways.

Hey Johnass,Even I have tried adding a ten second delay between opening the app and trying to access the webview,Din’t work for me too.
Anything else that can be tried?

@Mayuresh_Shirodkar @Steve_Thompson @Tim @NDL @Antony_Barnabas @Quality_Analyst

I ran across the same issue on a real device and after trying to run Appium from the last master build, the webview was visible and it worked. Please do give it a try to run from master and let me know if it works for you too.

And please make sure that your webview is visible by assuring that:

And also try to inspect that it’s visible by seeing if Chrome remote debugger sees it.

I just tried appium 1.2.4 on a nexus 5 running both 4.4.2 and 4.4.4. The app does have the webview visible (verified by chrome remote debugger). Still no luck.

Even I am also facing same issue on 4.4.2 android device.

Has anyone got solution for this ?

@Hassan_Radi ,

Can you please tell me the procedure to run appium from master build ?

I tried with command line and went to bin folder and given command node appium. But could not able to open.

This should help you run Appium from source:

@Hassan_Radi,
Please have a look this error. I am trying on windows machine. all path and all I set but still I am getting this issue.

This will help solve your problem.

@Hassan_Radi,
I could able to start latest appium from source but still I am not able to see web view from here as well. Any idea ?

It is android 4.4.2

Hi, i am trying to automate Google search from device nexus 7 with 4.4.4. Below are the prerequisite.

Real device: Nexus 7 with 4.4.4
Browser: Chrome
Appium: 1.2.4.1 version
Java 1.7
Java-client 1.6.0

I have written a code which open chrome, but when i am trying to switch to webview, it leads to no success. It only showing me context as “NATIVE_APP”. Whatever suggestion given in this post i have already tried, but no success. Please help me out to resolve this. Below is my code.

Code:

WebDriver driver;

DesiredCapabilities capabilities = new DesiredCapabilities();

capabilities.setCapability(CapabilityType.BROWSER_NAME, "Android");
	   capabilities.setCapability(CapabilityType.VERSION, "4.4.2");
	   capabilities.setCapability("platformName", "Android");
	   capabilities.setCapability("automationName", "Appium");
	   //capabilities.setCapability("appium-version", "1.2.4.1");

capabilities.setCapability("deviceName", "015d2994cc4c0618");
     capabilities.setCapability("appPackage", "com.android.chrome"); // This is package name of your app (you can get it from apk info app)
     capabilities.setCapability("appActivity", "com.android.chrome.Main"); // This is Launcher activity of your app (you can get it from apk info app)

driver = new AppiumDriver(new URL("http://127.0.0.1:4723/wd/hub"), capabilities);

//here is WebElement instantiation
     PageFactory.initElements(new AppiumFieldDecorator(driver), capabilities);

System.out.println(((AppiumDriver) driver).getOrientation()); 
     //((AppiumDriver) driver).openNotifications();

System.out.println("done");
    Thread.sleep(50000L);

Set<String> contextNames = ((AppiumDriver) driver).getContextHandles();
        for (String contextName : contextNames) {
            System.out.println(contextName);
            ((AppiumDriver) driver).context(contextName);
           // System.out.println("it worked   "+  driver.getTitle());

if (contextName.contains("WEBVIEW")){
                 ((AppiumDriver) driver).context(contextName);
                 Thread.sleep(10000);
                 driver.findElement(By.id("sfdiv")).sendKeys("Appium");
                 String Text1 =                               driver.findElement(By.cssSelector(".module_operation_title")).getText();
      	       System.out.println(Text1);
      	       Thread.sleep(10000);
      	        driver.findElement(By.cssSelector(".form_details")).click();
      	       Thread.sleep(5000);

}