Error with SafariLauncher

Hi,

I’m trying to get Appium working on iPad iOS 8.4 real device (got it working fine on Android). I’m getting the following error:

error: Failed to start an Appium session, err was: Error: Error. Could not find button to launch Safari. Make sure you are using the latest version of SafariLauncher that appium is using

info: [debug] Error: error. Could not find button to launch Safari. Make sure you are using the latest version of SafariLauncher that appium is using

I git cloned SafariLauncher onto my Mac desktop (followed the steps here to install it)

I copied the .zip file that was produced into /appium/contents/resources/node_modules/appium/build/SafariLauncher/

I think my problem might be that all of the SafariLauncer files are still on my desktop? Where should they be? This folder contains the .xcodeproj files etc.

• Platform (iOS or Android): iOS
  • Appium version: 1.4.8
  • Real Device

Thanks so much for any help!

Hi @niallyo,

Even I am facing the problem.

Platform : iOS
Appium version: 1.4.15
Real Device- iPhone6 [9.2]
OS X EI Capitan

Please suggest any solution if you have found.
Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi Nikhil, my problem was I wasn’t using the latest update of SafariLauncher. It was a while ago that I did it now, but I think if you get the latest version of Appium from GitHub it includes SafariLauncher, which will be installed when you first run your test.

Hi @niallyo,

Thanks for the reply.
I installed appium 1.4.15, yet I am facing the problem. When i check appium folder in mac, I don’t find SafariLauncher folder. So i created a folder named 'SafariLauncher
’ and zipped SafariLauncher.app file to SafariLauncher
.zip and pasted it. Yet no success. A solution for this will be very helpful.

Regards,
Nikhil

Hi @Nikhil_Vernekar

Have you ran a test yet on your device? Upon first run SafariLauncher will be automatically installed, don’t worry about manually installing it.

Hi @niallyo,@Nikhil

SafariLauncher app i added through xcode by doing build & Started Executing my Script in real device

In Appium Console it is Showing “Could not find button to launch Safari”

In Real Device Safari Launcher got instantiated but Url is not Passing.

Kindly Suggest

Thanks

Hi @Sadhula_Rajashekar, sounds to me like you’re using an old version of Appium, upgrade to the latest version from Git and try again.

Hi @niallyo

i tried with latest vesrion 1.4.15 Same issue

Again reverted appium version to 1.3.5, fruit strap error is displaying

Kindly Suggest

Thanks
Rajashekar

Hello, I have the same issue. Latest appium (1.4.16). IOS 9.2.1 on Ipad AIR . Latest ios-webkit-debug-proxy.
When the test launches the safarilauncher ( which is installed by the latest appium) I got the same message that
error: Failed to start an Appium session, err was: Error: Error. Could not find button to launch Safari. Make sure you are using the latest version of SafariLauncher that appium is using.

Is appium actually supporting IOS 9.2.1, what shall I do ?

Hi I am facing the same issue is there any resolution to this issue; please let me know the same

Thanks in advance Raghu