Issues running tests on selenium Grid. "Cannot extract a capabilities from the request"

Hello,

I am trying to run my Android and iOS tests on a selenium grid. Let me explain what state I am currently in. I have a selenium grid running locally using the selenium standalone server jar. I running multiple appium servers locally on different ports with the --nodeconfig option to add nodes to the grid. My nodes are connecting to the grid just fine. When I try to run my tests pointed at the hub “localhost:4444/wd/hub” I get this error

“2019-03-19 13:34:54.175:WARN:osjs.HttpChannel:qtp1439394198-21: /wd/hub/session java.io.IOException: org.openqa.grid.common.exception.GridException: Cannot extract a capabilities from the request: {“capabilities”:{“alwaysMatch”:{“platformName”:“iOS”,“deviceName”:“iPhoneX”},“firstMatch”:[{}]},“desiredCapabilities”:{“platformName”:“iOS”,“deviceName”:“iPhoneX”}}”

Right now I am using version 3.9.0 of the selenium server, but I have tried a few other versions and have the same issue. I am using appium version 1.11.1.

My nodeconfig.json file looks like this:

{
“capabilities”:
[
{
“deviceName”: “iPhoneX”,
“platformName”: “iOS”,
“version”: “12.1”,
“browserName”:“chrome”,
“maxInstances”: 1
}
],
“configuration”:
{
“cleanUpCycle”:2000,
“timeout”:30000,
“proxy”: “org.openqa.grid.selenium.proxy.DefaultRemoteProxy”,
“url”:“http://127.0.0.1:4725/wd/hub”,
“host”: “127.0.0.1”,
“port”: 4725,
“maxSession”: 1,
“register”: true,
“registerCycle”: 5000,
“hubPort”: 4444,
“hubHost”: “127.0.0.1”
}
}

my device compatibilities in my test looks like this:

iOS: {
platformName: ‘iOS’,
platformVersion: ‘12.1’,
deviceName: ‘iPhoneX’,
app: ‘/users/maxwell.falcon/downloads/build-ios-simulator.app.zip’,
automationName: ‘XCUITest’,
browserName: ‘’,
},

Anyone experience this before? Thank you all for your time and help.

Hi @MaxwellFalcon, I’m experiencing the same problem as you, did you find a solution for this? If so, can you share it to me? Thank you! :slight_smile: