Socket Hang Up - An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command

I’m facing this issue intermittently while running my appium scripts in a real device. Every alternate execution fails for the below error. Can anyone help me resolve this issue.

What I have done:

• Reinstalled the appium to the latest version (1.22.2)

• Restarted my mobile device every I get the socket hangup. (still scripts run every alternative time only)

• Checked running scripts in other devices. Seems to be working fine. But in my device (OnePlus Nord) I face this issue.

• Tried giving uiautomator2ServerLaunchTimeout desired capabilities with longer wait time. The issue still persists.

Error logs from the IDE:
org.openqa.selenium.SessionNotCreatedException: Unable to create a new remote session. Please check the server log for more details. Original error: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: The instrumentation process cannot be initialized within 30000ms timeout. Make sure the application under test does not crash and investigate the logcat output. You could also try to increase the value of ‘uiautomator2ServerLaunchTimeout’ capability
Build info: version: ‘3.141.59’, revision: ‘e82be7d358’, time: ‘2018-11-14T08:17:03’
System info: host: ‘TYSS-JITENDRA’, ip: ‘192.168.0.106’, os.name: ‘Windows 10’, os.arch: ‘amd64’, os.version: ‘10.0’, java.version: ‘17.0.2’
Driver info: driver.version: AndroidDriver
remote stacktrace: UnknownError: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: The instrumentation process cannot be initialized within 30000ms timeout. Make sure the application under test does not crash and investigate the logcat output. You could also try to increase the value of ‘uiautomator2ServerLaunchTimeout’ capability
at getResponseForW3CError (C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Programs\Appium Server GUI\resources\app\node_modules\appium\node_modules\appium-base-driver\lib\protocol\errors.js:804:9)
at asyncHandler (C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Programs\Appium Server GUI\resources\app\node_modules\appium\node_modules\appium-base-driver\lib\protocol\protocol.js:380:37)
Build info: version: ‘3.141.59’, revision: ‘e82be7d358’, time: ‘2018-11-14T08:17:03’
System info: host: ‘TYSS-JITENDRA’, ip: ‘192.168.0.106’, os.name: ‘Windows 10’, os.arch: ‘amd64’, os.version: ‘10.0’, java.version: ‘17.0.2’

at io.appium.java_client.remote.AppiumCommandExecutor$1.createSession(AppiumCommandExecutor.java:216)
at io.appium.java_client.remote.AppiumCommandExecutor.createSession(AppiumCommandExecutor.java:225)
at io.appium.java_client.remote.AppiumCommandExecutor.execute(AppiumCommandExecutor.java:247)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:552)
at io.appium.java_client.DefaultGenericMobileDriver.execute(DefaultGenericMobileDriver.java:41)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.execute(AppiumDriver.java:1)
at io.appium.java_client.android.AndroidDriver.execute(AndroidDriver.java:1)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.startSession(RemoteWebDriver.java:213)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.startSession(AppiumDriver.java:338)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.<init>(RemoteWebDriver.java:131)
at io.appium.java_client.DefaultGenericMobileDriver.<init>(DefaultGenericMobileDriver.java:37)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.<init>(AppiumDriver.java:89)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.<init>(AppiumDriver.java:99)
at io.appium.java_client.android.AndroidDriver.<init>(AndroidDriver.java:96)
at SampleTest.AppSetUp(SampleTest.java:26)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568)
at org.testng.internal.MethodInvocationHelper.invokeMethod(MethodInvocationHelper.java:124)
at org.testng.internal.MethodInvocationHelper.invokeMethodConsideringTimeout(MethodInvocationHelper.java:59)
at org.testng.internal.Invoker.invokeConfigurationMethod(Invoker.java:458)
at org.testng.internal.Invoker.invokeConfigurations(Invoker.java:222)
at org.testng.internal.Invoker.invokeConfigurations(Invoker.java:142)
at org.testng.internal.TestMethodWorker.invokeBeforeClassMethods(TestMethodWorker.java:168)
at org.testng.internal.TestMethodWorker.run(TestMethodWorker.java:105)
at org.testng.TestRunner.privateRun(TestRunner.java:648)
at org.testng.TestRunner.run(TestRunner.java:505)
at org.testng.SuiteRunner.runTest(SuiteRunner.java:455)
at org.testng.SuiteRunner.runSequentially(SuiteRunner.java:450)
at org.testng.SuiteRunner.privateRun(SuiteRunner.java:415)
at org.testng.SuiteRunner.run(SuiteRunner.java:364)
at org.testng.SuiteRunnerWorker.runSuite(SuiteRunnerWorker.java:52)
at org.testng.SuiteRunnerWorker.run(SuiteRunnerWorker.java:84)
at org.testng.TestNG.runSuitesSequentially(TestNG.java:1208)
at org.testng.TestNG.runSuitesLocally(TestNG.java:1137)
at org.testng.TestNG.runSuites(TestNG.java:1049)
at org.testng.TestNG.run(TestNG.java:1017)
at com.intellij.rt.testng.IDEARemoteTestNG.run(IDEARemoteTestNG.java:66)
at com.intellij.rt.testng.RemoteTestNGStarter.main(RemoteTestNGStarter.java:109)

Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568)
at io.appium.java_client.remote.AppiumCommandExecutor$1.createSession(AppiumCommandExecutor.java:193)
… 39 more
Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: The instrumentation process cannot be initialized within 30000ms timeout. Make sure the application under test does not crash and investigate the logcat output. You could also try to increase the value of ‘uiautomator2ServerLaunchTimeout’ capability
remote stacktrace: UnknownError: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: The instrumentation process cannot be initialized within 30000ms timeout. Make sure the application under test does not crash and investigate the logcat output. You could also try to increase the value of ‘uiautomator2ServerLaunchTimeout’ capability
at getResponseForW3CError (C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Programs\Appium Server GUI\resources\app\node_modules\appium\node_modules\appium-base-driver\lib\protocol\errors.js:804:9)
at asyncHandler (C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Programs\Appium Server GUI\resources\app\node_modules\appium\node_modules\appium-base-driver\lib\protocol\protocol.js:380:37)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:77)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstanceWithCaller(Constructor.java:499)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:480)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.W3CHandshakeResponse.lambda$errorHandler$0(W3CHandshakeResponse.java:62)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.HandshakeResponse.lambda$getResponseFunction$0(HandshakeResponse.java:30)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.ProtocolHandshake.lambda$createSession$0(ProtocolHandshake.java:126)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:197)
at java.base/java.util.Spliterators$ArraySpliterator.tryAdvance(Spliterators.java:1002)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEachWithCancel(ReferencePipeline.java:129)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyIntoWithCancel(AbstractPipeline.java:527)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:513)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:499)
at java.base/java.util.stream.FindOps$FindOp.evaluateSequential(FindOps.java:150)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.findFirst(ReferencePipeline.java:647)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.ProtocolHandshake.createSession(ProtocolHandshake.java:128)
… 44 more

Error Screenshot from the Appium:

Logs from the appium:
appium-server-logs.txt (43.3 KB)

Are you running the GUI as your server? That may be the problem.

Also, I don’t understand the timing between your automation runs. Is it directly after or is there a lot of time between runs (like once a day)?

1. Yes, I use Appium Server GUI (1.22.2) to start the server.
  2. Since I’m learning, I execute my files once or twice a day.

I have tried to use a different mobile device and the executions seems to be fine without any socket hangup. I get this issue only with my mobile device.

I think that may be the problem. The GUI is really not meant for this. Can you try with a regular server install?

Please review the enclosed document. It includes eclipse console logs, appium server logs, and adb logs. I have a suite of ten or more packages, ten+ classes, and twenty+ priority tests in each class. I see a socket hangup problem in the first package of a suite [after executing more than five classes (Approximately, 5 classes x 20 tests)]. Kindly lend me a hand to resolve this issue.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AmMs39GJ0cP5cH1sUvtROeb7f0M

Expecting a guidance from you. Thank you!