ADB parameter -l "forward lock application" does what?

I know this is an appium user forum, but I have a curiosity about the args

the -l parameter says it will “forward lock application”… but the internet is not clueing me up what that means at all. I’m adding a bit of “-r” parameter support to my test code and don’t use appium to do Android installs sadly, but wonder if I should. I am also wanting to do app upgrade tests with my appium suite, and wondered what the heck does that -l option do. I’m in the middle of a refactor to make my tests properly support android 13 changes and treat those devices with their own test cases, so my brain is melting with the years of spaghetti code I have, so sorry if this is a obvious question.

Please change your title to something that people with similar issue can find what they are looking for. “ADB related question again” is too generic.

1 Like

I usually would check adb sources. They are written mostly in java, so it shouldn’t be hard to understand it from there

Trouble is I can read a tiny bit of Java, but I don’t understand how java apps are structured well enough to know how to navigate much. I had hoped someone else had already puzzled this. It’s more a curiosity, but as a test engineer, this description got me wondering. Although it’s probably some boring deprecated function knowing my luck.

I was actually looking for tips on how to “upgrade” apps in-place. To simulate how the app store upgrades apps properly in a test and not just assume the -r flag does the same things.