An open source tool that is required for mobile web, automating Native and hybrid application on Android and IOS platform is known as Appium which was in 2012. Appium is considered to be a cross platform that will low you to write tests which are on multiple platforms like Android and IOS. They do this using the same API. This facility will enable you to do reuse of codes between Android and IOS test sites.
Those Apps are written by using Android SDKs and IOS are known as Native Apps.
The advantages of Appium are listed below:-
- Using the same API, Appium will allow you to write tests that are against mobile platforms.
- By using any kind of test frame work or language you can write and run the tests.
- Appium is an open source platform so you can contribute to it easily.
- For the hybrid mobile applications and Native, Appium provides cross platform.
- Appium supports JSON wire protocol.
- Appium do not require recompilation of App.
- Appium also supports automation test on the physical devices and also for simulator or emulator both.
- Appium does not have any dependency on mobile devices.
The disadvantages of Appium are listed below:-
- The testing of those android that are lower than 4.2 is not allowed.
- Appium has limited support for hybrid app testing. You will not be able to test the action that allows switching of applications from native to web app and from web app to native.
- There is no support that will allow you to run Appium inspector on Microsoft windows.