Android: text sent through correctly - then a couple of characters are removed

For some reason after i send some text through to a field Appium correctly enters it and then goes back and removes a couple of characters? even though it looks like the focus has moved onto the next field (it briefly jumps back) Log is below - can anyone tell me how to avoid this?

info: --> POST /wd/hub/session/fabba21b-95ec-4799-991e-e4335325ff16/element/7/value {“value”:[“Test”]}
info: [debug] Pushing command to appium work queue: [“element:setText”,{“elementId”:“7”,“text”:“Test”,“replace”:false}]
info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Got data from client: {“cmd”:“action”,“action”:“element:setText”,“params”:{“elementId”:“7”,“text”:“Test”,“replace”:false}}
info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Got command of type ACTION
info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Got command action: setText

info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Attempting to clear using UiObject.clearText().

info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Updating class “class com.android.uiautomator.core.UiDevice” to enable field “mUiAutomationBridge”

info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Updating class “class com.android.uiautomator.core.UiAutomatorBridge” to enable field “mInteractionController”

info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Finding methods on class: class com.android.uiautomator.core.InteractionController

info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Text remains after clearing, but it appears to be hint text.

info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Text not cleared. Assuming remainder is hint text.

info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Sending plain text to element: Test

info: [debug] [BOOTSTRAP] [debug] Returning result: {“value”:true,“status”:0}

info: [debug] Responding to client with success: {“status”:0,“value”:true,“sessionId”:“fabba21b-95ec-4799-991e-e4335325ff16”}
info: <-- POST /wd/hub/session/fabba21b-95ec-4799-991e-e4335325ff16/element/7/value 200 5892.471 ms - 76 {“status”:0,“value”:true,“sessionId”:“fabba21b-95ec-4799-991e-e4335325ff16”}

The way round this i’ve found is to add a couple of spaces onto the end of the word in the test script - the spaces then get removed.

Very strange and not something i came across in ios.