Appium starts application but test gives error "FAIL : No application is open"

I have Appium set up and im trying to run a sample robot framework automation script but I get an error message “FAIL : No application is open” every time. Im using RIDE by the way but that probably does not matter…

Appium starts the demo application fine so atleast the connection seems to be working (im using a real device Nexus 4).

Since Appium already starts the application, do I need to do it in my script? Using the Open application keyword?
How does the script know to run on the phone? This is a bit unclear to me…

The sample Open application keyword (that I got from the net) is set up like this:

Open Application http://localhost:4723/wd/hub/ platformName=Android platformVersion=4.2.2 deviceName=192.168.56.101:5555 app=${CURDIR}/demoapp/OrangeDemoApp.apk automationName=appium appPackage=com.netease.qa.orangedemo appActivity=MainActivity

I dont quite understand why I need all that? (the platform version for example is not 4.2.2 on my phone so maybe I should change that… but that is not my main concern now I think)

Can anyone assist me to move forward with my demo? I feel im close but not quite…

Thank you.

Nevermind I got it to work…

Hi Mika

I have got the “No application is open” error too, could you share your solution about how to fix it? Thx

Alex

two reason:
first is :appium is not works well
second is: your default browser used proxy settings(close your proxy settings then reopen you appium,i think it will work well )

Hi, did you find a solution? I am also having this problem. I am doing a tutorial where we are opening an Android App using an Android Emulator. I am using the Google Nexus 5 with Android Version 9. Also, I am also using Robot Framework and the AppiumLibrary.
Here is the Appium Library command and arguments:
Open Application http://localhost:4723/wd/hub platformName=Android deviceName=emulator-5554 appPackage=chat21.android.demo appActivity=chat21.android.demo.SplashActivity automationName=UiAutomator2

and the error in the terminal:

WARN ] Keyword 'Capture Page Screenshot' could not be run on failure: No application is open
Open Application on Mobile Android                                    | FAIL |
AttributeError: can't set attribute

Hi MikaB, How did you get it to work?