Appium tests via Jenkins: Simulator not booting, error: Command 'osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to count processes whose bundle identifier is "com.apple.iphonesimulator"

Appium version: 1.7.1
Xcode versions: 9.0 and 8.3.3
iOS Simulator version: iPhone 6, 10.3.1

A few months ago I was able to run my Appium tests through a local installation of Jenkins. I got sidetracked for a few months and am now coming back to it, but I’ve been unable to successfully run my tests. When I try to launch my application, my Jenkins build is called “Unstable” and I get the following error message:

org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: Command 'osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to count processes whose bundle identifier is "com.apple.iphonesimulator"'' exited with code 1 (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information)

I came across and resolved many errors during my first attempt at running Appium tests on Jenkins, but this is a new one.

The gist for the entire Jenkins log can be found here:

The log says that tests failed because specific elements cannot be found, but that’s because the simulator is not being booted. If I attempt to run the test with the simulator up and running the app doesn’t open, so the Appium server is getting started. The tests work as expected if I run them locally without Jenkins.

My project resides in Jenkins/workspace/SampleAppiumProjectIOS and includes the following files and folders:

• .project
  • app (folder)
  • pom.xml
  • src (folder)
  • target (folder)
  • testng.xml

Things I’ve tried so far:

• unlink and reinstall latest version of libimobiledevice
  • downgrade from Xcode 9 to Xcode 8.3.3 (including simulator downgrade)
  • updated my dependencies in my POM file to the most recent stable versions
  • delete the Target folder before running the Jenkins build
  • ran sudo $(npm bin)/authorize-ios
  • ran DevToolsSecurity -status; confirmed that Developer mode is currently enabled
  • started simulator with app installed before initiating Jenkins build
  • checked this URL while the build was in progress: http://127.0.0.1:4723/wd/hub/status (result below; app is not loading, so this is expected)
    05 PM

The same issue (or at least a very similar issue) was very recently posted on Stack Overflow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46569413/jenkins-couldnt-open-ios-simulator

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Getting osacript error when trying to create iosDriver

Did you resolve it in the end? I’m running into the same problem where appium doesn’t seem to find the iOS simulator.

Sorry for the late response. My team eventually decided to move in a different direction, so we ended up abandoning Jenkins in favor of another solution. I never did figure this out. Sorry!

No worries. I ended up using the real device for testing so I never able to figure this one out either.

@chiwhitesox56 Just curious, instead of Jenkins, which system is your team using now?