CustomWebView and Butterknife binding freezes Appium 1.6.3

I’m curious if anyone else has ran into this. In an app that we have, Appium completely freezes upon entering a hybrid action page with a central CustomWebView, and native app buttons. Appium server will completely freeze, and not progress any further unless I interact with the page and get out of the view. The only difference I can see between that problematic action and the others is it uses Butterknife to bind.

It’s reproducible on any Android version (above Lollipop for my personal testing), and running Appium 1.6.3.

Example of execution:

wait.until(ExpectedConditions.visibilityOfElementLocated(By.id(APP_ID+“username”)));
driver.findElement(By.id(APP_ID+“username”)).sendKeys("[email protected]");
driver.findElement(By.id(APP_ID+“password”)).sendKeys(“password”);
driver.findElement(By.id(APP_ID+“login”)).click();
Thread.sleep(8000l); // hard wait for information to pull
// hybrid view has loaded
System.out.println(driver.getContextHandles());
driver.context(“WEBVIEW_com.example”);
System.out.println(driver.getPageSource()); // Prints HTML code from view within the CustomWebView
driver.context(“NATIVE_APP”);
System.out.println(driver.getPageSource()); // Stalls until the page exits out of the hybrid view, then prints source for new page afterwards

There are two buttons on the page. If either button is referenced by the driver and set for click, Appium stalls until it reaches the next page, then fails since that button no longer exists.