Error returned value cannot be converted into web element

I am getting the below error

“Exception in thread “main” org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Returned value cannot be converted to WebElement: {ELEMENT=1}”

This is my code

package androppium;

import java.net.MalformedURLException;
import java.util.concurrent.TimeUnit;

import io.appium.java_client.android.AndroidDriver;
import io.appium.java_client.android.AndroidElement;

public class basic extends base {

public static void main(String[] args) throws MalformedURLException {
	// TODO Auto-generated method stub

AndroidDriver<AndroidElement> driver=Capabilities();
	driver.manage().timeouts().implicitlyWait(10, TimeUnit.SECONDS);

driver.findElementByXPath("//android.widget.TextView[@text='Animation']").click();

eclipse console omitted the below error

Jan 29, 2018 11:14:56 AM org.openqa.selenium.remote.ProtocolHandshake createSession
INFO: Detected dialect: W3C
Exception in thread “main” org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Returned value cannot be converted to WebElement: {ELEMENT=1}
Build info: version: ‘3.7.1’, revision: ‘8a0099a’, time: ‘2017-11-06T21:07:36.161Z’
System info: host: ‘NAVA’, ip: ‘192.168.114.1’, os.name: ‘Windows 10’, os.arch: ‘amd64’, os.version: ‘10.0’, java.version: ‘1.8.0_131’
Driver info: driver.version: AndroidDriver
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.findElement(RemoteWebDriver.java:377)
at io.appium.java_client.DefaultGenericMobileDriver.findElement(DefaultGenericMobileDriver.java:62)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.findElement(AppiumDriver.java:1)
at io.appium.java_client.android.AndroidDriver.findElement(AndroidDriver.java:1)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.findElementByXPath(RemoteWebDriver.java:472)
at io.appium.java_client.DefaultGenericMobileDriver.findElementByXPath(DefaultGenericMobileDriver.java:140)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.findElementByXPath(AppiumDriver.java:1)
at io.appium.java_client.android.AndroidDriver.findElementByXPath(AndroidDriver.java:1)
at androppium.basic.main(basic.java:17)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.HashMap cannot be cast to org.openqa.selenium.WebElement
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.findElement(RemoteWebDriver.java:375)
… 8 more

i am using
appium server 1.7.1

java client - java-client-5.0.4

selenium-java-3.7.1

i have tried with diffrent combinations of appium ,selinium and java client versions
but no luck

if anyone knows to this issue and found soultion. please help me to solve

attached appium server logs-
appium server logs.txt (17.1 KB)

Thanks in advance

have you tried with MobileElement instead of WebElement ?

Thanks for the response@ Shubham_Agarwal
I Think i haven’t tried MobileElement.

Can you please instruct me how to do that?

try this one-

MobileElement ele = driver.findElement(By.xpath(“//android.widget.TextView[@text=‘Animation’]”));
ele.click();

@Shubham_Agarwal…is there a known issue using Driver.findElement(By.id("…") ? Because I get the very same error as @nava790 testing out Appium with the emulator calculator. The Appium Inspector says it’s valid but executing any test fails with the line below. Is only XPath supported for Android? And it doesn’t matter if you use MobileElement or WebElement because it’s the “findElement(By.id())” logic that’s throwing the ClassCastException.

MobileElement el = _driver.findElement(By.id(“com.android.calculator2:id/digit_4”)).click();

I’m using the latest libs:

• selenium-java-3.0.1.zip
  • java-client-6.0.0-BETA2.jar
  • client-combined-3.0.1-nodeps.jar
  • Server 1.7.2
  • Desktop 1.3.1
  • caps.setCapability(“appPackage”, “com.android.calculator2”);
  • caps.setCapability(“appActivity”, “com.android.calculator2.Calculator”);

I get the error:
org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Returned value cannot be converted to WebElement: {ELEMENT=1}
Build info: version: ‘unknown’, revision: ‘1969d75’, time: ‘2016-10-18 09:43:45 -0700’
System info: host: ‘WONKA_1’, ip: ‘192.168.10.100’, os.name: ‘Windows 10’, os.arch: ‘amd64’, os.version: ‘10.0’, java.version: ‘1.8.0_144’
Driver info: driver.version: AndroidDriver

at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.findElement(RemoteWebDriver.java:375)
at io.appium.java_client.DefaultGenericMobileDriver.findElement(DefaultGenericMobileDriver.java:62)
at io.appium.java_client.android.AndroidDriver.findElement(AndroidDriver.java:1)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.findElementById(RemoteWebDriver.java:417)
at io.appium.java_client.DefaultGenericMobileDriver.findElementById(DefaultGenericMobileDriver.java:70)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.findElementById(AppiumDriver.java:1)
at io.appium.java_client.android.AndroidDriver.findElementById(AndroidDriver.java:1)
at org.openqa.selenium.By$ById.findElement(By.java:218)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.findElement(RemoteWebDriver.java:360)
at io.appium.java_client.DefaultGenericMobileDriver.findElement(DefaultGenericMobileDriver.java:58)
at com.wacasoft.bnt.appiumtest.AppiumUtils.byId(AppiumUtils.java:20)
at com.wacasoft.bnt.appiumtest.AppiumUtils.click(AppiumUtils.java:29)
at com.wacasoft.bnt.appiumtest.Test2.test1_emulator_calculator(Test2.java:81)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:50)
at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:12)
at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:47)
at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.InvokeMethod.evaluate(InvokeMethod.java:17)
at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.evaluate(RunBefores.java:26)
at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunAfters.evaluate(RunAfters.java:27)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runLeaf(ParentRunner.java:325)
at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:78)
at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:57)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:290)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:71)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:288)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:58)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:268)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:363)
at org.junit.runner.JUnitCore.run(JUnitCore.java:137)
at com.intellij.junit4.JUnit4IdeaTestRunner.startRunnerWithArgs(JUnit4IdeaTestRunner.java:68)
at com.intellij.rt.execution.junit.IdeaTestRunner$Repeater.startRunnerWithArgs(IdeaTestRunner.java:51)
at com.intellij.rt.execution.junit.JUnitStarter.prepareStreamsAndStart(JUnitStarter.java:242)
at com.intellij.rt.execution.junit.JUnitStarter.main(JUnitStarter.java:70)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMainV2.main(AppMainV2.java:131)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.HashMap cannot be cast to org.openqa.selenium.WebElement
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.findElement(RemoteWebDriver.java:373)

Cheers.

Thanks @Shubham_Agarwal for the response
The mobile element didn’t worked for me

The Webelement got worked once i updated appium server to 1.7.2 and JDK to 8u161

Try the below combination @Qualay

selenium-java-3.7.1 jars
java-client-5.0.4.jar
appium Server 1.7.2
Jdk 8u161

1 Like

Great, I am happy to see that you got your solution :slight_smile:

1 Like