execute_script host commands - SOLVED

Hey there,
I’ll first explain what my goal is, and then I’ll explain my current strategy:

Goal - within the appium test run, call out to a script on the host to do X. Currently X = a shell script to shape the network.

Here’s currently what I have:

$driver.execute_script 'UIATarget.localTarget().host().performTaskWithPathArgumentsTimeout(\'../appium-bbcommon.d/bin/shape_network.sh\',[\'internet_off\'],2)'

Expected Result: Called out to shape_network.sh and turns internet off
Actual Result:

info: [debug] Socket data received (123 bytes)
info: [debug] Socket data being routed.
info: [debug] Got result from instruments: {"status":17,"value":"Communication to the host was lost, and the task performed on host was terminated due to timeout."}
info: [debug] Responding to client with error: {"status":17,"value":{"message":"An error occurred while executing user supplied JavaScript.","origValue":"Communication to the host was lost, and the task performed on host was terminated due to timeout."},"sessionId":"33829580-a7d2-4e2e-8b11-a6d6b1c22d30"}
info: <-- POST /wd/hub/session/33829580-a7d2-4e2e-8b11-a6d6b1c22d30/execute 500 22900.159 ms - 258 
Selenium::WebDriver::Error::JavascriptError: Communication to the host was lost, and the task performed on host was terminated due to timeout.
from /Users/esherman/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.2/gems/selenium-webdriver-2.45.0/lib/selenium/webdriver/remote/response.rb:52:in `assert_ok'

Any guidance would be most useful.
Much thanks!
Eric

I figured this out.
Instead of execute_script, I decided to use the system command.
Example:
def shape_3G
system("…/appium-bbcommon.d/bin/shape_network.sh",“shape_3G”)
end

Thanks.