How to connect Appium Inspector with iOS Simulator

Hi!
I would like to ask you some help for my current issue. I’ve followed the doc for the installation of Appium Desktop/npm for Android and iOS emulators (installing also the external dependencies according to the report of appium-doctor). However, I only can connect appium with an Android emulator and an apk file. In the case of iOS, I am not able to complete the process. I put the following configuration:

*WebDriverAgent Port: 4723
*Session values:
{
“platformName”: “iOS”,
“platformVersion”: “14.3”,
“deviceName”: “iPhone 12”,
“automationName”: “XCUITest”,
“app”: “/path/to/file.app”
}

And the response that I obtain is always the same:

[W3C] Matched W3C error code ‘unknown command’ to UnknownCommandError
[WD Proxy] Matched ‘/status’ to command name ‘getStatus’
[WD Proxy] Proxying [GET /status] to [GET http://127.0.0.1:4723/status] with no body
[HTTP] → GET /status
[HTTP] {}
[HTTP] No route found for /status
[HTTP] ← GET /status 404 1 ms - 211
[HTTP]
[WD Proxy] Got response with status 404: {“status”:9,“value”:{“error”:“unknown command”,“message”:“The requested resource could not be found, or a request was received using an HTTP method that is not supported by the mapped resource”,“stacktrace”:“”}}

I really appreciate if you could give me some recommendations to solve this problem and apply my tests in the iOS Simulators too.

Thanks in advance,
Azahara.

I’ve had this problem before when using a ‘generic’ name for a simulator, i.e., the one assigned by Xcode. You may actually have 2 simulators with the same name, but with different iOS versions on them, and I’ve seen this confuse Appium. I try to name my simulators like this: ‘iPhone12_14.3’, that way I know at a glance what this simulator is running, and I avoid spaces in the name just because it’s good practice. I hope this helps you.