How to run a remote test

Hi there,

I have a local network consisting of two computers. A test client (Windows) and a test server (Mac).
I want to run the example test ios_simple.py with the app saved on the test server.
I want to run the app in the iOS simulator.

How do I have to specify the app’s path in my test case on the test client in this situation?

# set up appium
        app = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),
                           '/Users/me/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/TestApp-dnjfedvynjnwiugtnjbumuycgpxb/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator',
                           'TestApp.app')
        app = os.path.abspath(app)
        self.driver = webdriver.Remote(
            command_executor='http://192.168.2.1:4723/wd/hub',
            desired_capabilities={
                'app': app,
                'platformName': 'iOS',
                'platformVersion': '9.2',
                'deviceName': 'iPhone 6'
            })

Both computers know each other. Tested this by a ping.

Thanks.

Steps

1. Start the Appium server on Mac machine
  2. Make sure the app path you are providing is an absolute path on the mac machine

Just provide the actual path on the Mac machine as a string, no need to use path module.
ie. /Users/iee-65appiummac1/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/TestApp-dnjfedvynjnwiugtnjbumuycgpxb/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator', 'TestApp.app
3. Provide the IP of mac machine on you capability as is http://<mac_machine_ip>:<appiuim_port>/wd/hub

Hi,

nice. It works. But now only 1 of 2 test runs successful.

If I test the swipe gesture I receive the error: TypeError: swipe() got an unexpected keyword argument 'start_x'
If I run this test local on Mac (test client & test server = Mac) it ends up successful…

Any idea?

Is the Appium server version on both machine same?

Hi,

sorry I don’t get it. I thought that the Appium server has to be installed on just the test server and not on the client too.

On test server runs:

• Appium App 1.4.13
  • python 2.7.10
  • Appium-Python-Client 0.21

On test client is running:

• python 2.7.11
  • Appium-Python-Client 0.2

Greets.

On test client is running Eclipse within a JUnit test. On test client the Appium Java client bindings (jars) and the selenium webdriver (jars) are installed. Nothing else.

I was just confirming if there is version difference as you said[quote=“mr.sid, post:3, topic:9394”]
If I run this test local on Mac (test client & test server = Mac) it ends up successful…
[/quote]

Ah. Okay I’ll try to explain again :).

I have to setups:

1. setup: 1 machine (Mac).
    Test server and test client are the same machine.
    Both run on localhost.
    -> test succeeds

2. setup: Two machines. 1 test server (Mac), 1 test client (Windows).
    Both are connected via LAN in an local network.
    Appium GUI is only installed on test server.
    -> test fails with the error given above

Greets.