{IOS} couldn't find ideviceinstaller error

I’m trying to build automated test on ipad programmatically but i’m facing a probleme the server send me the following logs :

Couldn’t find ideviceinstaller, trying built-in at /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/build/libimobiledevice-macosx/ideviceinstaller
Error: write EPIPE
at exports._errnoException (util.js:890:11)
at WriteWrap.afterWrite (net.js:767:14)

The real problem is that I do not have build/libimobiledevice-macosx/ideviceinstaller in /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/
have i missed a step when i installed appium ?
thx already for your reply :wink:

You may need to install ideviceinstaller separately.

I used home brew to install it: brew install ideviceinstaller

thx for your reply but this is done already done

Mac-mini-de-admin:node_modules admin$ brew install ideviceinstaller
Warning: ideviceinstaller-1.1.0_2 already installed

If you can find where the ideviceinstaller is installed, you could try copying all of the associated files/folder to the location expected by appium.

By any chance, are you using iOS 10?

sadly nope i use ios 9.3.5

i tried to find ideviceinstaller but without success … i’m searching on google for install at a special location but i don’t really know if it will work …

If you run -

which ideviceinstaller

Do you get any output? I get this - /usr/local/bin/ideviceinstaller

if you don’t get any output. I would suggest you to go to this location and see if ideviceinstaller is present or not. And then add path to ideviceinstaller in your PATH variable in bash_profiles or bashrc

yes i get the same then i copied, like @Cauthon said, at the path asked

Mac-mini-de-admin:bin admin$ cd /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/build/libimobiledevice-macosx/
Mac-mini-de-admin:libimobiledevice-macosx admin$ ls
ideviceinstaller

but … when i run it …

[debug] [iOS] Couldn’t find ideviceinstaller, trying built-in at /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/build/libimobiledevice-macosx/ideviceinstaller

i get this again

Add path to node_modules in PATH variable. Also, did you use “-g” for global when installing node?

Suman_Bala made some great points, that may be the reason it is having issues.

Another thought I had was authorize-ios. Did you install/run this? I used npm to install it by running npm install -g authorize-ios from the terminal. Once installed, I ran sudo authorize-ios.

If you haven’t run authorize-ios, I don’t believe you’ll be able to connect to iOS devices.

1 Like

i didn’t installed node by myself on this computer … so i don’t really know how is installed node,
should i get the resources’s node_module or the appium’s node_module in path variable?

i’m able to run some tests with this command line in terminal

`’/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node/bin/node’ /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/build/lib/main.js --debug-log-spacing --log-level “debug” --nodeconfig “/Users/admin/Documents/installations/SeleniumGridLocalHost/IOSSeleniumGrid.json” --platform-version “9.3” --platform-name “iOS” --safari --browser-name “Safari” --udid “MYUDID” --full-reset --show-ios-log --show-ios-log --device-name “MYIPAD” --native-instruments-lib --native-instruments-lib

so yes i’ve done this step
… after a retry right now i face another issue … when i run my command line.I’ll restart to see if there is no another process that is breaking something

edit: it’s ok now i restarted and my command is working … but my goal is to make it work with a redirection at the end (>AppiumLog’+date.getHours()+""+date.getMinutes()+""+date.getSeconds()+’.txt’)
when i try to do it i appium tell me the error that we try to fix…

it’s working now in commandLine manually …
but when i run the command with gradle script it’s telling me :

[debug] [iOS] Couldn't find ideviceinstaller, trying built-in at     
/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/build/libimobiledevice-macosx/ideviceinstaller

… maybe it’s a gradle issue ?

It was a java problem (a path problem) like @Suman_Bala said.
When i run my command line I do it with java and java don’t import environnement variable like bash do
So I have added environnement in the command, thx to @Cauthon and @Suman_Bala
It’s working fine now.
bye

1 Like