Is searching element by name attribute removed in appium 1.6.4

I used to search elements using name attribute but I observed in 1.6.4, it is not able to search element using name attribute as below:
//*[@name='Mail']

This is now not working. Can anybody confirm.

It was removed in 1.5:

Remove long-deprecated name locator strategy

Yeah, for iOS search by ‘id’ instead. Should give you the same results.

I tried searching using ID but it is not able to find element. You can look at below from appium inspector that element name is ios_confidence. I tried using xpath like:
a.) //XCUIElementTypeStaticText[contains(@id,‘ios_confidence’)]
b.) //XCUIElementTypeStaticText[contains(@name,‘ios_confidence’)]

Both did not worked for me.

That looks like the OLD Appium UI which isn’t really supported for XCUITest. You should install the Appium 1.6 Desktop app!

Is that name ‘ios_confidence’ unique? if so, find it by ID using one of the following…

appiumDriver.findElement(By.id("ios_confidence"));
        appiumDriver.findElement(MobileBy.AccessibilityId("ios_confidence"));

I tried using that appium-desktop but it is failing to start with below error:

[XCUITest] Using WDA agent: '/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/app/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-xcuitest-driver/WebDriverAgent/WebDriverAgent.xcodeproj'
[XCUITest] Launching WebDriverAgent on the device
[XCUITest] Carthage found: '/usr/local/bin/carthage'
[XCUITest] Killing hanging processes
[XCUITest] Cannot parse major and minor version numbers from platformVersion "undefined". Will build for the default platform instead
[XCUITest] Beginning test with command 'xcodebuild build-for-testing test-without-building -project /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/app/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-xcuitest-driver/WebDriverAgent/WebDriverAgent.xcodeproj -scheme WebDriverAgentRunner -destination id=e1e7256afc04d3430db23018c1e879979d25aefc -configuration Debug' in directory '/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/app/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-xcuitest-driver/WebDriverAgent'
[XCUITest] Output from xcodebuild will not be logged
[XCUITest] Starting iproxy to forward traffic from local port 8100 to device port 8100 over USB
[XCUITest] Waiting up to 60000ms for WebDriverAgent to start
[JSONWP Proxy] Proxying [GET /status] to [GET http://localhost:8100/status] with no body
[JSONWP Proxy] Proxying [GET /status] to [GET http://localhost:8100/status] with no body
[XCUITest] Log file for xcodebuild test: /Users/Abhinav/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WebDriverAgent-dikkwtrisltbeobjmfvpthwwekvs/Logs/Test/8342CA55-5F14-4E66-A78C-B866562129FB/Session-WebDriverAgentRunner-2017-04-18_120305-gXQ08C.log
[Xcode] 2017-04-18 12:03:05.715 xcodebuild[82052:3755987] Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file “WebDriverAgentRunner-Runner.app” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/Abhinav/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WebDriverAgent-dikkwtrisltbeobjmfvpthwwekvs/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/WebDriverAgentRunner-Runner.app, NSUnderlyingError=0x7feed6df1c40 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}}
[Xcode] 2017-04-18 12:03:05.715 xcodebuild[82052:3755987] Error Domain=IDETestOperationsObserverErrorDomain Code=5 "Early unexpected exit, operation never finished bootstrapping - no restart will be attempted" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Early unexpected exit, operation never finished bootstrapping - no restart will be attempted}
[Xcode] 
[Xcode] ** TEST EXECUTE FAILED **
[Xcode] 
[Xcode] 
[XCUITest] xcodebuild exited with code '65' and signal 'null'
[BaseDriver] Event 'wdaStartFailed' logged at 1492497185740 (12:03:05 GMT+0530 (IST))

Are you specifying all the correct caps? Looks like at a minimum you are missing “platformVersion”. Are you trying to run on a real device or simulator?

I am running this on real device. I tried specifying platfotmVersion capability too but it did not help. Same is running fine with old Appium GUI