Issue with Appium and Screen Mirroring on iPhone: Unable to Click Elements

Hello everyone,

I’m currently facing an issue with Appium while attempting to automate interactions on an iPhone that has screen mirroring enabled. Specifically, when I enable remote control(Apple watch mirroring) on my iPhone, and then try to automate interactions using Appium, I encounter difficulties in clicking elements on the remote screen.

Problem Statement:

• When I enable screen mirroring on my iPhone, I can see the mirrored screen on another device (e.g., Apple Watch) and can also view the mirrored screen in the Appium inspector.
  • However, despite being able to see the elements in the Appium inspector, I’m unable to interact with them programmatically using the typical WebDriver commands (e.g., click()).
  • It seems that Appium is unable to recognize or interact with the elements on the mirrored screen properly.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Enable screen mirroring on an iPhone. (Settings → Accessibility → Apple Watch Mirroring → toggle on/off button)
  2. Apple Watch screen mirroring is enabled on iPhone
  3. Launch the Appium inspector and connect to iPhone.
  4. Attempt to interact with elements on the mirrored screen using Appium WebDriver commands (e.g., click()).

Expected Behavior:

• I expect Appium to recognize and interact with the elements on the mirrored screen as it does with the regular device screen.
  • By xpath or cordinate should be able to click on elements on the mirrored screen on iPhone without any issues.

Actual Behavior:

• Despite being able to see the elements in the Appium inspector, the WebDriver commands fail to perfome click on element which we see on remote screen iPhone.
  • The click() command, for example, does not trigger any action on the mirrored screen.
  • The click() command works only for “digital crown” or “side button”, but it doesn’t work for screen elements
  • I encounter the same issue when I try to perform a click using the Appium Inspector or execute the same action in a Python script

Here is example from Appiun inspector

Additional Information:

• I’ve tried using different Appium versions and configurations, but the issue persists.
  • I’ve also experimented with various capabilities and settings, but none seem to resolve the problem.
  • Is there a specific configuration or capability that needs to be set when dealing with screen mirroring scenarios in Appium?

Environment:

• Appium version: 2.5.2
  • Appium insector: 2024.3.4
  • iOS version: iOS 17.4.1
  • WatchOS: 10.4
  • Device: iPhone 15 and Watch Ultra 2
  • Screen Mirroring Device: Remote control (screen mirroring) enabled on the iPhone, I control Apple Watch with iphone

I would appreciate any insights or suggestions on how to resolve this issue. Thank you in advance for your help!