It's a question about appium-inspector connecting with appium

When I start session,It reported the following mistake

This is the server log.

--> POST /wd/hub/session
[HTTP] {"capabilities":{"alwaysMatch":{"appium:newCommandTimeout":3600,"appium:connectHardwareKeyboard":true},"firstMatch":[{}]},"desiredCapabilities":{"appium:newCommandTimeout":3600,"appium:connectHardwareKeyboard":true}}
[W3C] Calling AppiumDriver.createSession() with args: [{"appium:newCommandTimeout":3600,"appium:connectHardwareKeyboard":true},null,{"alwaysMatch":{"appium:newCommandTimeout":3600,"appium:connectHardwareKeyboard":true},"firstMatch":[{}]}]
[BaseDriver] Event 'newSessionRequested' logged at 1709210091169 (20:34:51 GMT+0800 (香港标准时间))
[Appium] Could not parse W3C capabilities: 'platformName' can't be blank
[Appium] Trying to fix W3C capabilities by merging them with JSONWP caps
[BaseDriver] The following capabilities are not standard capabilities and should have an extension prefix:
[BaseDriver]   newCommandTimeout
[BaseDriver]   connectHardwareKeyboard
[Appium] Could not parse fixed W3C capabilities: 'platformName' can't be blank. Falling back to JSONWP protocol
[BaseDriver] Event 'newSessionStarted' logged at 1709210091171 (20:34:51 GMT+0800 (香港标准时间))
[MJSONWP] Encountered internal error running command: Error: You must include a platformName capability
[HTTP] <-- POST /wd/hub/session 500 4 ms - 179

But in my code, I explicitly added paltformName

I want to know what the problem is and how I should solve it.

You have no capabilities set in appium inspector. Is there some way to get appium inspector to read capabilities from your code? If not you need to add them in the inspector. That error message is consistent with having no capabilities set at all.

Thank you very much. Appium inspector successfully started the session after setting up capabilities.

1 Like