MacOS: Having trouble opening the Appium Server on localhost

This seems to be a basic issue and I have been tryinh install/uninstall appium with/without sudo since yesterday but not able to get through.
On starting appium, there is no error, but when I try to open the server URL http://localhost:4723/ or http://127.0.0.1:4723/, it gives status:
{“status”:9,“value”:{“error”:“unknown command”,“message”:“The requested resource could not be found, or a request was received using an HTTP method that is not supported by the mapped resource”,“stacktrace”:""}}

There are multiple articles on it asking to start appium with base-path - /wd/hub, etc and I have tried everything. Can someone please suggest what else should be tried as I am not able to proceed because of some basic setup issue.

Error trace-
@P42VK2D7H3 bin % appium

[Appium] Welcome to Appium v2.3.0 (REV 7817518992920b8dbd15e48a5e6c5ad768f4ba8b)

[Appium] The autodetected Appium home path: /Users/i350116/.appium

[Appium] Attempting to load driver uiautomator2…

[Appium] Attempting to load driver xcuitest…

[Appium] Attempting to load driver mac2…

[Appium] Requiring driver at /Users/i350116/.appium/node_modules/appium-xcuitest-driver/build/index.js

[Appium] Requiring driver at /Users/i350116/.appium/node_modules/appium-uiautomator2-driver/build/index.js

[Appium] Requiring driver at /Users/i350116/.appium/node_modules/appium-mac2-driver/build/index.js

[Appium] XCUITestDriver has been successfully loaded in 14.199s

[Appium] AndroidUiautomator2Driver has been successfully loaded in 14.202s

[Appium] Mac2Driver has been successfully loaded in 14.202s

[Appium] Attempting to load driver espresso…

[Appium] Attempting to load driver safari…

[Appium] Attempting to load driver gecko…

[Appium] Requiring driver at /Users/i350116/.appium/node_modules/appium-geckodriver/build/index.js

[Appium] GeckoDriver has been successfully loaded in 0.451s

[Appium] Attempting to load driver chromium…

[Appium] Requiring driver at /Users/i350116/.appium/node_modules/appium-safari-driver/build/index.js

[Appium] SafariDriver has been successfully loaded in 1.866s

[Appium] Requiring driver at /Users/i350116/.appium/node_modules/appium-espresso-driver/build/index.js

[Appium] EspressoDriver has been successfully loaded in 7.334s

(node:6135) MaxListenersExceededWarning: Possible EventEmitter memory leak detected. 11 exit listeners added to [process]. Use emitter.setMaxListeners() to increase limit

(Use node --trace-warnings ... to show where the warning was created)

[Appium] Requiring driver at /Users/i350116/.appium/node_modules/appium-chromium-driver/index.js

[Appium] ChromiumDriver has been successfully loaded in 11.725s

[Appium] Appium REST http interface listener started on http://0.0.0.0:4723

[Appium] You can provide the following URLs in your client code to connect to this server:

[Appium] http://127.0.0.1:4723/ (only accessible from the same host)

[Appium] No plugins have been installed. Use the “appium plugin” command to install the one(s) you want to use.

[HTTP] --> GET /

[HTTP] {}

[HTTP] No route found for /

[HTTP] <-- GET / 404 18 ms - 211

[HTTP]

[HTTP] <-- GET /favicon.ico 200 3 ms - 1150

[HTTP]

[HTTP] --> GET /

[HTTP] {}

[HTTP] No route found for /

[HTTP] <-- GET / 404 14 ms - 211

Any update on this? I tried changing the mac profile from zsh to bash, reinstalled everything . Still stuck at the same point :frowning: Can someone please help here.

add code how you start driver

I have tried starting with both
appium
appium --path /wd/hub

Add code of driver start not appium server. This helps to understand your issue.

Hi there please can someone help me with the above issue , I am getting the same error when trying to run the appium server.
Secondly when running the wdio command , the process just hangs on the following line
2024-01-22T17:53:09.496Z INFO @wdio/cli:launcher: Run onPrepare hook
2024-01-22T17:53:09.502Z INFO @wdio/appium-service: Will spawn Appium process: node /Users/Shaakir/Desktop/heroautomation/plus-mobile/node_modules/appium/index.js --base-path /

This is what is displayed when running
appium server -p4723

• “status”: 9,
  • “value”: {
    • “error”: “unknown command”,
    • “message”: “The requested resource could not be found, or a request was received using an HTTP method that is not supported by the mapped resource”,
    • “stacktrace”: “”}

}

How you installed Appium server? It looks like you trying to use UI module but I could be wrong.

You should able start appium just with simple appium command in terminal/console.

I have installed appium the standard way using npm , not sure what is meant by using UI module but in terms of starting appium I use the command appium server -p4723
Once the appium server is running it throws the error mentioned in my previous comment

Do we have to start driver separately?

I start in separately one time in code before all tests start. Using TestNG I start it in beforeSuite.

I have the same problem, has anyone managed to solve it?