MacOS with WebAuthenticator

Hi everybody,

I’ve been searching for an answer for my issue for a couple of months and I’m not making any progress. I’m trying to automate a MacOS application, but the login uses Web Authentication. From everything I’ve read, it doesn’t look like this is possible with the Mac2 driver…is that the case?

I need to launch the application and click the login button which opens a web session…here I supply credentials and click the sign-in which returns a token and closes the web session. Then I need to return back to the application for further automation.

It looks like Android has this ability with “context” since it’s a hybrid driver, but this not an available action in the Mac2 driver.

I can’t start a web-driver session to handle authentication because MacOS Application returns the browser window and there is no way to point the web-driver to that browser instance. From what I can tell, the only real solution is to make the Mac2 driver a hybrid driver like Android.

Is this anything that is planned for the future? It seems web authentication is a fairly popular mechanism for a lot of desktop applications.

Has anyone else figured out a work-around?
TIA

The hybrid mode is just a convenience feature. You can achieve a similar result by starting a second selenium webdriver session from the client side and connecting to the desired web view (if it allows that). The companion driver instance could be used similar to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40663615/testing-electron-app-using-selenium-java-in-macos-environment and depends on which engine your webapp uses.