Problems running Inspector on Mac for Android app

I’m having problems getting the Appium Inspector to launch for my Android app. I’m on a Mac, using Appium Server 1.4.13. I’ve got an Android emulator configured, called “Nexus4” which appears to operate fine, although it shows up as “emulator-5554” when I do a “adb devices” command. When trying to use this emulator with the Appium Inspector, it always fails.

With the Appium config set to “Nexus4” for AVD (and Device name)- when I launch the inspector,
it launches the Nexus4 emulator, but scrolls the below errors:

info: [debug] 1 device(s) connected
info: [debug] 1 emulator(s) connected
info: [debug] Sending telnet command to device: avd name
info: [debug] Getting running emulator port
info: [debug] Socket connection to device created
info: [debug] Socket connection to device ready
info: [debug] Telnet command got response: ae[Ke[Dave[Ke[De[Davde[Ke[De[De[Davd e[Ke[De[De[De[Davd ne[Ke[De[De[De[De[Davd nae[Ke[De[De[De[De[De[Davd name[Ke[De[De[De[De[De[De[Davd namee[K
Nexus4
info: [debug] Emulator Nexus4 not running
warn: Emulator never became active. Going to retry once

It throws the below error window and closes/relaunches the Emulator, and shows the same messages as above.
Could not launch Appium Inspector. Be sure Appium server is running …

With the Appium config is set to “emulator-5554” for AVD/Device name, the server can’t find the emulator and shows the below messages.
error: Unable to start Emulator: PANIC: HOME is defined but could not find emulator-5554.ini file in $HOME/.android/avd
(Note: avd is searched in the order of $ANDROID_AVD_HOME,$ANDROID_SDK_HOME/.android/avd and $HOME/.android/avd)
info: [debug] Emulator emulator-5554 not running
info: [debug] Trying to find emulator-5554 emulator
info: [debug] Getting connected emulators
info: [debug] Getting connected devices…
info: [debug] executing cmd: /Users/leppo/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/adb devices
info: [debug] 1 device(s) connected
info: [debug] 1 emulator(s) connected
info: [debug] Sending telnet command to device: avd name
info: [debug] Getting running emulator port
info: [debug] Socket connection to device created
info: [debug] Socket connection to device ready
info: [debug] Telnet command got response: ae[Ke[Dave[Ke[De[Davde[Ke[De[De[Davd e[Ke[De[De[De[Davd ne[Ke[De[De[De[De[Davd nae[Ke[De[De[De[De[De[Davd name[Ke[De[De[De[De[De[De[Davd namee[K
Nexus4
info: [debug] Emulator emulator-5554 not running

Any ideas what might be wrong? I’ve had problems getting my Mac to see my Android device, so I thought that I’d try an emulator, but still having no luck. Thanks

I get this same error
Did anybody find solution to this?

I finally did get Appium and the Inspector to work with my Android device. I’m not sure exactly which step fixed the issue, but after I installed Smart Switch on the Mac (for my Galaxy S6) and upgraded to Appium Server 1.53, things began to work. I also played around with different configs in the Appium Server’s Android Settings and what worked for me was choosing the App Path for the app and also checking the “Package” checkbox. I haven’t revisited the Emulator issue since I prefer to use a real device.