Settings_apk-debug.apk and unlock_apk-debug.apk fail to install

I am trying to test an Android app with Appium (version 1.5.3) and the Android emulator, but each time I run my test script, Appium is unable to install either settings_apk-debug.apk or unlock_apk-debug.apk. I have tried using the Android emulator with OS versions 4.4.2 (API level 19), 5.0 (API level 20), 5.0.1 (API level 21) and 5.1.1 (API level 22) - NONE OF THEM WORK. Below, you can see the 2 commands (from Appium logs) which Appium keeps getting stuck at:

[debug] [ADB] Running /Users/ysxb111/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/adb with args: ["-P",5037,"-s",ā€œ192.168.56.101:5555ā€,ā€œinstallā€,"/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-android-driver/node_modules/io.appium.settings/bin/settings_apk-debug.apk"]

[debug] [ADB] Running /Users/ysxb111/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/adb with args: ["-P",5037,"-s",ā€œ192.168.56.101:5555ā€,ā€œinstallā€,"/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-android-driver/node_modules/appium-unlock/bin/unlock_apk-debug.apk"]

Please do let me know if there is any way to fix this problem. I have been trying to resolve this for over a week, and would sincerely appreciate your guidance ASAP!

Whatā€™s the error reported in the server log? Without that, I can only guess what the problem is.

Try uninstalling the two apps before you run your automation

adb uninstall io.appium.settings
adb uninstall io.appium.unlock

If that fixes the problem, you have a workaround. Failing that, Iā€™ll await the error messages from the server log.

1 Like

Already tried doing that, but it doesnā€™t fix the problem :frowning: Literally got stuck on the same command again:

[debug] [AndroidDriver] Pushing settings apk to deviceā€¦

[debug] [ADB] Running /Users/ysxb111/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/adb with args: ["-P",5037,"-s",ā€œemulator-5554ā€,ā€œinstallā€,"/Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-android-driver/node_modules/io.appium.settings/bin/settings_apk-debug.apk"]

It gets stuck at the above command so there is no error message after that command in the Appium logs :confused:

What happens when you run the command manually?

/Users/ysxb111/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/adb -P 5037 -s emulator-5554 install /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-android-driver/node_modules/io.appium.settings/bin/settings_apk-debug.apk

Is there are reason you are using a non-default port for Appium, i.e. 4723?

1 Like

Hi All,

Can someone please help to resolve this error.?

An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: Error executing adbExec. Original error: ā€˜Command ā€˜/Users/user1/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/adb -P 5037 -s RF8M33VNBVK install /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/app/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-unlock/bin/unlock_apk-debug.apkā€™ exited with code 1ā€™; Stderr: ā€˜adb: failed to install /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/app/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-unlock/bin/unlock_apk-debug.apk: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_VERSION_DOWNGRADE]ā€™; Code: ā€˜1ā€™

You are getting this error because the unlock_api-debbug.apk exist in your capabilities.

How to resolve it? you can change your DesiredCapabilities from before passing them to your driver.

Appium server, through UIautomator2 requires four main caps: platformName, udi, platformVersion, browserName and deviceName.

You really do not need to use ā€œappā€ capability

There many colors and flavor to set capabilities based on what you are testing (androidwebapplications, ioswebapplications, native android,ā€¦ etc)

Unless your requirements require you to have app, you are locked down. Otherwise you are flexible to choose.

Alternatively you can use thisā€¦

DesiredCapabilities caps = new DesiredCapabilities();

// caps.setCapability(ā€œdeviceNameā€, ā€œAndroid_GalaxyS7_fcb9cebeā€);
// caps.setCapability(ā€œudiā€, ā€œfcb9cebeā€);
// caps.setCapability(ā€œplatformNameā€, ā€œAndroidā€);
// caps.setCapability(ā€œplatformVersionā€, ā€œ8.0.0ā€);
// caps.setCapability(ā€œbrowserNameā€, ā€œChromeā€);
// caps.setCapability(ā€œnoResetā€, true);

caps.setCapability(MobileCapabilityType.PLATFORM_NAME, "Android");
    caps.setCapability(MobileCapabilityType.UDID, "fcb9cebe");
    caps.setCapability(MobileCapabilityType.PLATFORM_VERSION, "8.0.0");
    caps.setCapability(MobileCapabilityType.DEVICE_NAME, "Android_GalaxyS7_fcb9cebe");
    caps.setCapability(MobileCapabilityType.BROWSER_NAME, "Chrome");

System.setProperty("webdriver.chrome.driver", "C:\\Users\\   YOUR USER 

\selenium utilities\drivers\chromedriver.exe");

// caps.setCapability(ā€œappPackageā€, ā€œcom.android.mycalculatorā€); //for native app
// caps.setCapability(ā€œappPackageā€, ā€œcom.android.mycalculator.Calculatorā€); //for native app

//Appium as a Server-Client architecture
    //server address that talks to the mobile device.
    WebDriver driver = new RemoteWebDriver(new URL("http://0.0.0.0:4723/wd/hub"), caps);
    driver.manage().timeouts().implicitlyWait(10, TimeUnit.SECONDS);
    driver.get("https://www.tdameritrade.com/home.page");

driver.navigate().to("http://appium.io/docs/en/writing-running-appium/web/mobile-web/");
    driver.navigate().back();
    driver.navigate().forward();

Remember URL throws MalformedURLException