Starting Appium server programmatically + Windows Driver + C#

Hello Appium community,

I hope you’re doing well. I’m facing an issue while trying to start the Appium server programmatically in my C# project, and I’m seeking your assistance in resolving it.

Problem Description: I’m attempting to start the Appium server using the AppiumServiceBuilder in C#, but I encounter the following error:

OpenQA.Selenium.Appium.Service.Exceptions.AppiumServerHasNotBeenStartedLocallyException
HResult=0x80131500
Message=The local appium server has not been started. The given Node.js executable: C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe Arguments: “C:\Users\mihail.amurov\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\appium\build\lib\main.js” --port “4723” --address “127.0.0.1”.
Time 120000 ms for the service starting has been expired!

Environment Details:

• Operating System: Windows
  • Node.js Version: v18.17.1
  • NPM Version: 9.6.7
  • Appium Version: 2.1.3

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

• Checked Node.js and NPM versions, which meet the Appium requirements.
  • Ensured that the specified paths to Node.js and the Appium main script are correct.
  • Verified that there are no port conflicts on port 4723.

Additional Information:

• I’m running my code from [Your Development Environment].
  • The Appium server starts successfully when launched manually:
  1. Manual Appium Command:
  • I attempted to start the Appium server manually using the Appium command ( appium ).
    But http://127.0.0.1:4723/status
    returns { "value": { "ready": true, "message": "The server is ready to accept new connections", "build": { "version": "2.1.3" } } }}

And I encountered issues connecting to it after using my code (example at the bottom of this topic).

OpenQA.Selenium.WebDriverException HResult=0x80131500 Message=An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: WinAppDriver server is not listening within 10000ms timeout. Make sure it could be started manually Source=WebDriver StackTrace: at OpenQA.Selenium.Remote.RemoteWebDriver.UnpackAndThrowOnError(Response errorResponse) at OpenQA.Selenium.Remote.RemoteWebDriver.Execute(String driverCommandToExecute, Dictionary2 parameters)
at OpenQA.Selenium.Appium.AppiumDriver1.Execute(String driverCommandToExecute, Dictionary2 parameters)
at OpenQA.Selenium.Remote.RemoteWebDriver.StartSession(ICapabilities desiredCapabilities)
at OpenQA.Selenium.Remote.RemoteWebDriver…ctor(ICommandExecutor commandExecutor, ICapabilities desiredCapabilities)
at OpenQA.Selenium.Appium.AppiumDriver1..ctor(Uri remoteAddress, ICapabilities appiumOptions) at OpenQA.Selenium.Appium.Windows.WindowsDriver1…ctor(Uri remoteAddress, AppiumOptions AppiumOptions)
at RunNotePad.Program.Main(String args) in C:\Users\mihail.amurov\source\repos\RunNotePad\RunNotePad\Program.cs:line 30
`
POST requests to the server fail with status code 500.

Session in the Appium Inspector cannot be started:

1. Manual WAD (.exe) Execution:
  • I tried to start the Appium server by manually executing the WAD ( WinAppDriver.exe ), but I faced similar connectivity issues.
  1. Successful Manual Start Command:
  • Interestingly, the Appium server starts successfully using the following command:
    WinAppDriver.exe 4723
    My code is successfully connected and executed, but the GET http://127.0.0.1:4723/status returns { "status": 13, "value": { "error": "unknown error", "message": "An unknown error occurred in the remote end while processing the command." } }

Session in the Appium Inspector cannot be started:

My code (lesson part):
AppiumServerLauncher.cs:
`using OpenQA.Selenium.Appium.Service;
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.IO;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Threading.Tasks;

namespace RunNotePad.Utils
{
internal class AppiumServerLauncher
{
private AppiumLocalService appiumServer;

public AppiumServerLauncher()
    {
        appiumServer = new AppiumServiceBuilder()
            .WithIPAddress("127.0.0.1")
            .UsingPort(4723)
            .UsingDriverExecutable(new FileInfo(@"C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe"))
            .WithAppiumJS(new FileInfo(@"C:\Users\mihail.amurov\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\appium\build\lib\main.js"))
            .WithStartUpTimeOut(TimeSpan.FromMinutes(3))
            .Build();
    }

public void Start()
    {
        appiumServer.Start();
    }

public void Close()
    {
        if (appiumServer != null && appiumServer.IsRunning)
        {
            appiumServer.Dispose();
        }
    }
}

}

Program.cs:using OpenQA.Selenium;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Appium;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Appium.Enums;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Appium.Windows;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Support.UI;
using RunNotePad.Utils;
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.IO;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Threading;
using System.Threading.Tasks;

namespace RunNotePad
{
internal class Program
{

static void Main(string[] args)
    {
        var server = new AppiumServerLauncher();
        server.Start();
        WindowsDriver<WindowsElement> notepadSession;
        AppiumOptions desiredCapabilities = new AppiumOptions();
        desiredCapabilities.AddAdditionalCapability("appium:automationName", "windows");
        desiredCapabilities.AddAdditionalCapability("app", @"C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe");
        desiredCapabilities.AddAdditionalCapability(MobileCapabilityType.PlatformName, "Windows");
        desiredCapabilities.AddAdditionalCapability(MobileCapabilityType.DeviceName, "WindowsPC");

notepadSession = new WindowsDriver<WindowsElement>(new Uri("http://127.0.0.1:4723"), desiredCapabilities);

if (notepadSession == null ) {
            Console.WriteLine("App not started");
            return;
        }
        Console.WriteLine($"Application title: {notepadSession.Title}");
        notepadSession.Manage().Window.Maximize();

notepadSession.FindElement(By.Name("Text Editor")).SendKeys("New Test \n");
        notepadSession.FindElement(By.Name("Text Editor")).SendKeys(DateTime.Now.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd_HH-mm-ss"));
        notepadSession.FindElement(By.Name("File")).Click();
        notepadSession.FindElement(MobileBy.AccessibilityId("4")).Click();
        notepadSession.Quit();
        server.Close();
    }
}

}
`

I kindly request your help in diagnosing and resolving this issue. If you have encountered a similar problem or have insights into possible solutions, your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best regards, Mihail.

UPD:
Log file contains following lines:
2023-09-23 13:10:15:875 [Appium] Welcome to Appium v2.1.3
2023-09-23 13:10:15:878 [Appium] Non-default server args:
2023-09-23 13:10:15:879 [Appium] { address: ‘127.0.0.1’ }
2023-09-23 13:10:15:880 [Appium] Attempting to load driver windows…
2023-09-23 13:10:15:883 [Appium] Requiring driver at C:\Users\mihail.amurov.appium\node_modules\appium-windows-driver
2023-09-23 13:10:16:091 [Appium] Appium REST http interface listener started on http://127.0.0.1:4723
2023-09-23 13:10:16:091 [Appium] Available drivers:
2023-09-23 13:10:16:091 [Appium] - [email protected] (automationName ‘Windows’)
2023-09-23 13:10:16:092 [Appium] No plugins have been installed. Use the “appium plugin” command to install the one(s) you want to use.
2023-09-23 13:10:16:253 [HTTP] → GET /wd/hub/status
2023-09-23 13:10:16:253 [HTTP] {}
2023-09-23 13:10:16:260 [HTTP] No route found for /wd/hub/status
2023-09-23 13:10:16:264 [HTTP] ← GET /wd/hub/status 404 9 ms - 211

Why is /wd/hub/ path called when the the appium documentation stands on the following:
With Appium 1.x, the server would accept commands by default on http://localhost:4723/wd/hub. The /wd/hub base path was a legacy convention from the days of migrating from Selenium 1 to Selenium 2, and is no longer relevant. As such the default base path for the server is now /.

Was this issue resolved?

@Mihail_Amurov were you able to find a solution? Thanks

Looks like you are using an older client or a client that has not updated to the “/” default path. For now, try starting appium server like this:

appium server -pa /wd/hub

And see if that doesn’t help. More info:

Hi @wreed have you faced with a similar issue? OpenQA.Selenium.Appium.Service.Exceptions.AppiumServerHasNotBeenStartedLocallyException : The local appium server has not been started. The given Node.js executable: C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe Arguments: “C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\appium\build\lib\appium.js” --port “65397” --address “127.0.0.1”.
Time 120000 ms for the service starting has been expired!

Thanks for replying

No idea. I don’t use Windows or C#. You should post that as a new topic.