This app needs to be updated by the developer to work on this version of iOS

I’m Using Ruby, Appium and RSpec and Github actions to test a pre-built app.

• NPM: 8.12.1
  • Appium: 1.22.3
  • Xcode 13.4.1 (Build version 13F100)

The environment as far as i’m aware is the same as my local one. The .app was built and copied into my appium project using Xcode > Product > Show Build Folder in Folder.

My tests run fine locally, but fail on the CI with “update the app”. Can anyone see what I’m missing sorry?

Error

Failures:
  1) Login and Signout Logs in and it signs out
     Failure/Error: @driver = Appium::Driver.new(opts, true).start_driver
     Selenium::WebDriver::Error::UnknownError:
       An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: Error running 'install': An error was encountered processing the command (domain=IXUserPresentableErrorDomain, code=4):
       “myapp” Needs To Be Updated
       This app needs to be updated by the developer to work on this version of iOS.
       Failed to find matching arch for input file: /Users/runner/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/B30A6079-7A57-4FF9-9636-E46822A29FB9/data/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installd.staging/temp.Ld5uKb/extracted/myapp.app/myapp
       Underlying error (domain=MIInstallerErrorDomain, code=15):
       	Failed to find matching arch for input file: /Users/runner/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/B30A6079-7A57-4FF9-9636-E46822A29FB9/data/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installd.staging/temp.Ld5uKb/extracted/myapp.app/myapp
     # UnknownError: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: Error running 'install': An error was encountered processing the command (domain=IXUserPresentableErrorDomain, code=4):
     # “myapp” Needs To Be Updated
     # This app needs to be updated by the developer to work on this version of iOS.
     # Failed to find matching arch for input file: /Users/runner/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/B30A6079-7A57-4FF9-9636-E46822A29FB9/data/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installd.staging/temp.Ld5uKb/extracted/myapp.app/myapp
     # Underlying error (domain=MIInstallerErrorDomain, code=15):
     # 	Failed to find matching arch for input file: /Users/runner/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/B30A6079-7A57-4FF9-9636-E46822A29FB9/data/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installd.staging/temp.Ld5uKb/extracted/myapp.app/myapp
     #     at getResponseForW3CError (/Users/runner/hostedtoolcache/node/18.3.0/x64/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-base-driver/lib/protocol/errors.js:804:9)
     #     at asyncHandler (/Users/runner/hostedtoolcache/node/18.3.0/x64/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-base-driver/lib/protocol/protocol.js:380:37)
     # ./spec/config.rb:20:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'
Finished in 1 minute 48.25 seconds (files took 1.54 seconds to load)
1 example, 1 failure
Failed examples:
rspec ./spec/tests/user_logs_in_spec.rb:9 # Login and Signout Logs in and it signs out

CI.yml

name: Appium CI

on:
  push:
    branches: [ main ]
  pull_request:
    branches: [ main ]

workflow_dispatch:

jobs:
  build:
    # https://github.com/actions/virtual-environments/blob/main/images/macos/macos-12-Readme.md
    runs-on: macos-12
    env:
      DEVELOPER_DIR: /Applications/Xcode_13.4.1.app/Contents/Developer

steps:
      - uses: actions/checkout@v3
      - uses: actions/setup-ruby@v1

- name: Install project gems
        run: bundle install

- name: Install node
        run: brew install node

- name: Update NPM
        run: npm install -g [email protected]

- name: Install Appium
        run: npm install --location=global appium

- name: Start Appium Server
        run: appium &

- name: Run tests
        run: bundle exec rspec

Config.rb

require 'appium_lib'

opts = {
  caps: {
    'deviceName' => 'iPhone 13 Pro',
    'platformName' => 'iOS',
    'platformVersion' => '15.5',
    'app' =>  './app/myapp.app',
    'automationName' => 'XCUITest',
    'udid': 'auto'
  },
  appium_lib: {
    wait_timeout: 5
  }
}

RSpec.configure do |config|
  config.before(:each) do
    @implicit_wait_timeout = 5
    @driver = Appium::Driver.new(opts, true).start_driver
    @driver.manage.timeouts.implicit_wait = @implicit_wait_timeout
    Appium.promote_appium_methods Object
  end

config.after(:all) do
    @driver.driver_quit
  end
end

What are the versions of iOS? Could you be running on an iOS that the app is not built for? Find the iOS version you are using locally and also in CI.

Also, what version of Xcode is the app built with? It may be that you are building it yourself with Xcode 13, but it’s a bit vague.

I’m building for iOS 15.5,

My environment is (same local and ci):

• NPM: 8.12.1
  • Appium: 1.22.3
  • Xcode 13.4.1 (Build version 13F100)

But the app was built locally, against a 15.5 device and copied into my repo, which is read.

The devices must be different. From looking up the error the local device must be an older device that supports 32 bit:

https://www.imobie.com/ios-update/developer-needs-to-update-app.htm#:~:text=The%20developer%20of%20this%20app%20will%20need%20to%20update%20it,or%20iPad%20will%20not%20launch.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/682067

It should be the same but you’re right it must be wrong. You’ve made me wonder now if it might be because of my local machine being an M1 mac vs the CI not being so :grimacing:

Thank you for the nod i’ll look into this and update