Unable to launch iOS Webdriver agent manually on iOS 17.X devices

When I build Webdriver agent on iOS Test devices (Physical and Simulator) that have iOS V17 or higher, I am not able to launch Webdriver agent on the devices manually.

When I click on the app it just launches with a black screen then closes. I tried multiple Physical devices and a Simulator and I have also made sure to restart the devices multiple times. Note that when building the SAME version from the SAME project on iOS 16.X devices, I am not facing this issue.

Has anyone faced this? any ideas what data I can get to help investigate the issue?

It is expected. WDA app not running as full UI app.

hmm, then we have to build WDA on iOS devices for every test or at least every run of automation?

Can I keep usePrebuiltWDA": true after building the app on device manually?

If I recall correctly when setting usePrebuiltWDA = false and running tests, appium keeps reinstalling WDA on every test, which greatly slows down test speed, any way I can change that behaviour?

Any reason it launches on iOS 16.X devices and not 17.X

Exactly. Doing the same.

Write your all caps.

e.g. mine when i do normal app start:

appium:fullReset: false
appium:noReset: true
appium:useNewWDA: false
appium:usePrebuiltWDA: true
1 Like

Nice, will try it.

Thank you so much for the quick replies.

I have the same black screen issue when I start it manually from the screen, but it works when I do the build from Xcode.

Unfortunately this is not a valid solution for my situation, I can probably use this when running tests, but NOT for Appium inspector.

The WDA inspector builds seems to be using the default Facebook signing settings and I cannot get access to that directory.

Issue is still there by the way I launch WDA it closes instantly WITHOUT setting up automation mode, so there is NO automation overlay for iOS 17.X devices.

Exactly, my issue.

Blank screen, then goes back to home, no Automation overlay appearing, Appium cannot connect to device and has to build Xcode again.

Thank you very much @Aleksei , this worked for the tests themselves, for Inspector, I will need to find a way to configure a separate WDA for it or try the reset flags again.

We can mark this thread as resolved from my side