WebDriverException: Message: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: Failed to receive any data within the timeout: 5000

• Platform I am automating: iOS
  • Appium version: 1.22.3
  • Simulator/Emulator or Real Device: Real Device - iPhone 12, iOS version16.2
  • The language you are using for writing tests: python
  • Your OS: Ventura 13.4.1
  • Xcode version: 14.3.1
  • WDA version: 5.6.0

Hi team,
When I run the automation code on the iOS real device, I encountered the error “HOOK-ERROR in before_scenario: WebDriverException: Message: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: Failed to receive any data within the timeout: 5000”. The fully appium log is in the attachment file.

I searched many articles but none of one helped me. So I searched the help here, could you gives me some help? Thanks very much.

appium.00008101-00064CA82150001E.07-17-23_20:05:40.log (26.6 KB)

Unfortunately, this combination won’t work. You’ll need to use Appium 2 in such a scenario:

Thanks for your reply.

The reason why I used the above combination is because my coworker has the same one and he can run the automation on real device successfully. Plus, our automation code is Appium 1 currently, so Appium 2 is not work for me either before our automation code migration to appium2.

May I know why the combination doesn’t work? Or do we have some workround for that? Thanks.

The reason is simple:

Quote:

:bangbang: Appium core team does not maintain Appium 1.x anymore since the 1st of January 2022. All recent versions of officially supported platform drivers are not compatible to Appium 1.x, and require Appium 2 to run. Please read the migration guide from 1.x to 2.0 to manage the Appium server.

Xcode 14.3.1 release date: June 2023:

There has been no work done on Appium 1.X to make it compatible with that version of Xcode.

Appium 2 is not work for me either before our automation code migration to appium2.

Ok. Should work the same, but you may have some custom thing I don’t know about.