When running appium test on android real device getting error: Permission to start activity denied

Hi,

I am trying to run mobile app in android real device. I have connected the device through USB Debugging. When I run “adb devices” from command prompt device is display as attached devices. My phone’s android version is 4.2.2. When i run the test as testng test nothing happens.

Please help me. Thank you in advance.

These are my appium logs.

error: Failed to start an Appium session, err was: Error: Permission to start activity denied.
info: [debug] Error: Permission to start activity denied.
at [object Object]. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Appium\node_modules\appium\node_modules\appium-adb\lib\adb.js:1151:19)
at [object Object]. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Appium\node_modules\appium\node_modules\appium-adb\lib\adb.js:180:9)
at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:742:7)
at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:110:17)
at maybeClose (child_process.js:1016:16)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:1088:5)
info: [debug] Responding to client with error: {“status”:33,“value”:{“message”:“A new session could not be created. (Original error: Permission to start activity denied.)”,“origValue”:“Permission to start activity denied.”},“sessionId”:null}
info: <-- POST /wd/hub/session 500 16823.068 ms - 194

enable Development mode on phone.

Hi,

I did enable the developer options and also enable USB Debugging.

and when connected phone to computer Accepted Allow connect to this PC dialog?

and disable in Development “Check Harmfull Behavior over USB…” - this cause also problem with some phones

Yes. I have accepted Allow connect to this PC

and check - https://github.com/appium/appium/issues/4607

Still doesn’t work for me, but thanks though.

try another device :slight_smile: and better use android 4.3+ as far as with 4.2 findBy.id does not work.

Can you try running the command to start the activity yourself? It should be of the form:

adb shell am start -n application_id/activity_name

Example:

adb shell am start -n com.example.appium/com.example.appium.MainActivity

Perhaps running the command manually might reveal a more interesting error message to solve your problem. :slight_smile:

Hi,

I solved my problem with running tests on real device. In the code I have given appActivity as Login Activity. But before that app has Splash Screen activity. So I changed the appActivity as Splash Screen and it worked.

Thanks all for your replies. They helped me to gain knowledge. Thanks.

Sachi Thanks it solved my problem as well .

Can U please tell me… how u done this?