Docker Appium and Emulators

Hello community.

Recently we are looking into this triangle (appium - docker - emuators) but not much success so far.

I know that there are two github repos , but I couldn’t properly execute appium scripts on top of emulators while all wrapped with containers so far.

Is there anyone here who has started to use dockers for the test execution and appium ?

Thanks

1 Like

I recommend to try below

Regards,
Vikram

We tried that one , the problem is that it did’t work (we couldn’t interact with the device) and there is no API 27 emulators

can you file issue on the repo with as much details ? Complaining here won’t help

As it’s open source project one can help by testing, filing issue, submitting PR and helping each other virtually to achieve our goals :slight_smile:

One of my team members already opened a ticket :slight_smile:

You should also have a look at Which is best cloud based service for mobile testing & automation?

The thread is talking about cloud providers , for real devices , I’m looking for dockerize android studio emulators

Hi ,

I was wondering if there is something new with tickets ?

Thanks

Hello, I’m interested to know if you found a solution?

nope , still looking for one

1 Like

@igal_epshtein Hi, I’m interested to know if you found any solution?

Hello,
Thanks for your suggestion.
There are a few things which are not very clear for me.
I don’t know exactly how to pair the image with de selected device. For ex budtmo/docker-android-x86-8.1 has chromedriver 2.33. If I used it to start a Samsung S6 emulator an error is thrown: No chromedriver wah found to automate Chrome 69.
Is there any way to set a new chromedriver on the fly ?
It works if I download the new chromedriver in the container and I start the appium server with --chromedrive=/path
Thank you in advance!

There are two possible solutions for this problem.
Current Appium version allows to have a static chromedrivers mapping, so you can simply provide a folder where different chromedriver versions are stored and the driver will try to autodetect the one, that matches to the target browser version based on the provided mapping json.
The seconds option has been introduced recently in appium@beta and allows to automatically download the necessary chromedriver from google storage if it is not present in the mapping. Read https://github.com/appium/appium/blob/master/docs/en/writing-running-appium/web/chromedriver.md for more details