Can't install iOS app on the appium 1.6

We have installed Appium 1.6 from npm.
Android works fine, however iOS is failing with the below log.

ENV- We have upgraded the iOS machine to the latest OSX 10.12.1 & xcode 8.1.
When I tried to install the iOS app via Xcode it was installed successfully, however when attempting to launch it, it prompts the “Untrusted Enterprise developer…” popup.

We have tried to use the .app instead of the .ipa however the same error was generated.
Do notice that in the past (on the 1.5.3 appium version) all worked fine.

Any idea how to overcome it?
Should our developers sign the .app differently with Xcode 8.1?

[Appium] Appium REST http interface listener started on 0.0.0.0:4723
[HTTP] --> POST /wd/hub/session {“desiredCapabilities”:{“app”:"/Users/sgmacbookpro/Appium/iOS/SkyGiraffe.ipa",“newCommandTimeout”:12000,“platformVersion”:“10.1”,“udid”:“51d8c712258a5b0ac63516aa5be9d10014b0c270”,“platformName”:“iOS”,“deviceName”:“SG iPhone 5s”,“autoAcceptAlerts”:“True”}}
[MJSONWP] Calling AppiumDriver.createSession() with args: [{“app”:"/Users/sgmacbookpr…
[Appium] Requested iOS support with version >= 10, using XCUITest driver instead of UIAutomation-based driver, since the latter is unsupported on iOS 10 and up.
[Appium] Creating new XCUITestDriver session
[Appium] Capabilities:
[Appium] app: ‘/Users/sgmacbookpro/Appium/iOS/SkyGiraffe.ipa’
[Appium] newCommandTimeout: 12000
[Appium] platformVersion: ‘10.1’
[Appium] udid: ‘51d8c712258a5b0ac63516aa5be9d10014b0c270’
[Appium] platformName: ‘iOS’
[Appium] deviceName: ‘SG iPhone 5s’
[Appium] autoAcceptAlerts: ‘True’
[debug] [XCUITest] XCUITestDriver version: 2.0.26
[BaseDriver] Capability ‘autoAcceptAlerts’ changed from string to boolean. This may cause unexpected behavior
[BaseDriver] Session created with session id: 1e8bfcfd-becb-4cd5-903a-f2a2141a29ac
[debug] [XCUITest] Xcode version set to ‘8.1’
[debug] [XCUITest] iOS SDK Version set to ‘10.1’
[debug] [XCUITest] Available devices: 51d8c712258a5b0ac63516aa5be9d10014b0c270
[debug] [XCUITest] Creating iDevice object with udid 51d8c712258a5b0ac63516aa5be9d10014b0c270
[XCUITest] Could not initialize ios-deploy make sure it is installed and works on your system
[XCUITest] Error: Could not initialize ios-deploy make sure it is installed and works on your system
at XCUITestDriver.getIDeviceObj$ (lib/driver.js:639:13)
at tryCatch (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:67:40)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.invoke [as _invoke] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:315:22)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.prototype.(anonymous function) [as throw] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:100:21)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.invoke (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:136:37)
Error: Could not initialize ios-deploy make sure it is installed and works on your system
at tryCatch (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:67:40)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.invoke [as _invoke] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:315:22)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.prototype.(anonymous function) [as throw] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:100:21)
at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.invoke (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:136:37)
[debug] [XCUITest] Running iOS simulator reset flow
[MJSONWP] Encountered internal error running command: Error: Could not initialize ios-deploy make sure it is installed and works on your system

I have tried to install the .ipa via the terminal idevieinstaller command & it was installed successfully.
Any idea why it was failing from code?

=============================================================================
*ideviceinstaller -u 51d8c712258a5b0ac63516aa5be9d10014b0c270 -i /Users/sgmacbookpro/Appium/iOS/SkyGiraffe.app

=

$: which ios-deploy
/usr/local/bin/ios-deploy

if not → install it GitHub - ios-control/ios-deploy: Install and debug iPhone apps from the command line, without using Xcode

Hi,
Not sure I follow.

Got it,
Installed the iOS-deploy & now it’s installed!

thanks!!!

Now it is installed however i get the following error & the app doesn’t launch:

Any idea?

[Xcode] Code signing is required for product type ‘UI Testing Bundle’ in SDK ‘iOS 10.1’
Signing for “WebDriverAgentRunner” requires a development team. Select a development team in the project editor.

[Xcode] Code signing is required for product type ‘UI Testing Bundle’ in SDK ‘iOS 10.1’

hope you are using APP for Simulator and IPA for device?

Actually, I am using .app for real devices.
We always used .app for real devices.
Now it is not supported?

Are you sure? In general app is for simulator. Try with ipa now.

Hi… Similar issue I faced and got it working.

Follow: GitHub - appium/appium-xcuitest-driver: Appium iOS driver, backed by Apple XCTest

Hi Thanks,

I follow the article & did the following:

• brew install ideviceinstaller
  • npm install -g ios-deploy
  • npm install -g deviceconsole
  • gem install xcpretty
  • I have set the xcodeConfigFile with the DEVELOPMENT_TEAM & CODE_SIGN_IDENTITY in my testing ENV & added the desired capabilities path to it (capabilities.setCapability(“xcodeConfigfile”, “/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-xcuitest-driver/WebDriverAgent/xcodeConfigfile.xcconfig”);
    )
    Now when I try to execute our tests the app is installed successfully however it doesn’t launched (see below error).
    Any idea what am I missing?

===================================================================
[Xcode]
:x: Code signing is required for product type ‘UI Testing Bundle’ in SDK ‘iOS 10.1’
[Xcode]
Testing failed:
[Xcode] Signing for “WebDriverAgentRunner” requires a development team. Select a development team in the project editor.
Code signing is required for product type ‘UI Testing Bundle’ in SDK ‘iOS 10.1’

Opening the webdriveragent project in xcode and providing the developer id and team in the setting and build for generic iOS device might help. Need to use the same apple id in the device as well. I remember these errors are messy and need to try few permutations and iterations to get rid of.

Any resolution here? Have the same problem with code signing and can’t find a solution for this.

Nope,
Still waiting for the rescue :slight_smile:

There is new dependency of Carthage for testing with iOS 9.3 and above and XCUITest framework. Check my answer Appium 1.6.0 Released