[iOS9 UIAutomation] What is Appium approach to UIAutomation deprecation by Apple

According to the below Appium roadmap, version 1.6 with “XCUITest backend integration” has an ETD of 3/2016. Do we have a new ETD?

Roadmap: https://github.com/appium/appium/blob/master/ROADMAP.md

I think we do! Let me get a firm date on that.

iOS 10 removed Instruments and only supports XCUITest so we will make sure to have XCUITest working great before ios 10 is released.

Isaac just bundled the appium-xcuitest-driver into the main appium project in our master branch on github. We will be including beta support for XCUITest in appium version 1.6.0

After a beta period where people can help us find bugs, we will publish another version with better support.

We plan to publish all this before Apple’s official release of ios 10

3 Likes

Hello guys.
How to run XcuiTestDriver using node?

Regards,
Pranoday

@jonahss You mentioned under Advantages of the new XCUITest driver that “Is able to run on multiple connected devices in parallel”. I haven’t given it a try. But just curious. Does the same hold true for simulators also. Can i run multiple simulators in the same machine.

Hi @mathewkuruvila .
It should be true for Simulators as well.Instruments was not allowing running tests parallely on multiple devices/emulators attached to/started on single MAC machine.Now after introduction of XcuiTest there is no involvement of intruments.

Thanks and Regards,
Pranoday

wow that’s great. thank you

Hi @mathewkuruvila.
Can you please help me out in starting XcuiTest driver through Node?

Thanks and Regards,
Pranoday

Instruments is/was not the limiting factor. We used MonkeyTalk and (thanks to Oracle) are now using Appium, which both are utilizing Instruments to install and launch apps on real devices. Our Mac minis were handling 4 devices in parallel each without a problem.

It’s the simulator itself which cannot be started a second time on the same machine. There are guide to do this by starting the simulator with different Mac OS users, but we have not tried this yet.

Hi @Pranodayd,

Here is what I have tried… Discussion: Getting existing automation to run with new Appium XCUITest driver

We have decided to wait for the next Appium realease which is (hopefully) bundled with the XCUITest driver.

@Jander - Are you saying like now itself appium supports running of multiple IOS devices connected to a single MAC.
@Pranodayd - Personally i haven’t tried using node. But you can go by Jander’s solution.

Hi.@Jander
When I tried running IOS tests parallely on more than 1 simulators/devices,it was giving error “Session not created,Instruments is already running”.So it was a instruments because of which Appium tests can not be run parallely on more than 1 devices attached to single MAC.Only 1 instance of Instruments is allowed per MAC.

Thanks and Regards,
Pranoday

@mathewkuruvila @Jander
I have tried steps mentioned in Discussion: Getting existing automation to run with new Appium XCUITest driver,but could not succeed.

Any other way to start XcuiTest Driver than using Node?
Thanks,
Pranoday

@Jander
I have tried steps mentioned in Discussion: Getting existing automation to run with new Appium XCUITest driver,but could not succeed.

Any other way to start XcuiTest Driver than using Node?
Thanks,
Pranoday

Sorry for getting a bit off topic…

@mathewkuruvila @Pranodayd - Yes. We have a Mac mini Appium server running that serves 2 iPad minis and 2 iPods in parallel (running at the same time). It’s limited to 4 devices, as there are only 4 USB ports. :wink: This is possible by spawning 4 Appium servers, each listening on another port. Multiple Instruments sessions are possible by specifying an individual tmp-folder per session.

Ok.Thanks @Jander
Can you please tell me a way to start XcuiTest Driver without using Node?

Thanks and Regards,
Pranoday

Hi @Jander.How to specify an individual tmp-folder per session?

@Pranodayd Just try this Appium prallel device execution in multiple machines

Achieved it successfully.

Thanks

Any plan to support real device for xcuitest driver in future?

Hello,

Any update on the firm date? :slight_smile:

I am guessing it is soon, right? Because as far as I know iOS 10 is in public beta now, which probably means that the official release is getting real close.

Thanks in advance for replying.

Cheers,
Anna

P.S. Just a suggestion, but I think it would be a good idea to create a separate topic with a post informing the status of xcuitest-driver. I am betting that many ppl are asking the same questions in many different topics :slight_smile: