Xcodebuild failed with code 65 (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information) Command duration or timeout: 32.63 seconds

@pavanbachu - Appium version is 1.6.3.

My Config.xcconfig file is as follows:

Can you please run Appium Doctor and let me know what it says regarding your Carthage installation? I think weā€™re on to something hereā€¦

Appium Doctor shows:

info AppiumDoctor āœ” Carthage was found at: /usr/local/bin/carthage

I also tried manually moving the Carthage folder to the WebDriverAgent folder. When I am in /usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-xcuitest-driver/WebDriverAgent/, the ls output shows:

.npmignore
.travis.yml
CONTRIBUTING.md
Cartfile
Cartfile.resolved
Inspector/
LICENSE
PATENTS
PrivateHeaders/
README.md
Resources/
Scripts/
WebDriverAgent.xcodeproj/
WebDriverAgentLib/
WebDriverAgentRunner/
WebDriverAgentTests/
WebDriverAgentUSBClient/
carthage/
myconfig.xcconfig

My .xcconfig file looks identical to @chiwhitesox56ā€™s, substituting our DEVELOPMENT_TEAMā€™s value.

I still see the error:

[Xcode] 	Signing for "WebDriverAgentRunner" requires a development team. Select a development team in the project editor.
	Code signing is required for product type 'UI Testing Bundle' in SDK 'iOS 10.2'

When I open the log file from the output, I see the following:

12:42:02.770 xcodebuild[17827:6437112] Beginning test session WebDriverAgentRunner-93092938-1E1E-428D-85A5-D43C2ACCBEE2 at 2017-01-11 12:42:02.768 with Xcode 8C38 on target <DVTiOSDevice: 0x7f8cbdaaf930> {
		deviceSerialNumber:         CCQJL6X4F4K4
		identifier:                 <UDID>
		deviceClass:                iPod
		deviceName:                 Appname ipod
		deviceIdentifier:           <UDID>
		productVersion:             9.3.2
		buildVersion:               13F69
		deviceSoftwareVersion:      9.3.2 (13F69)
		deviceArchitecture:         armv7f
		deviceTotalCapacity:        29255876608
		deviceAvailableCapacity:    22654820352
		deviceIsTransient:          NO
		ignored:                    NO
		deviceIsBusy:               NO
		deviceIsActivated:          YES
		deviceActivationState:      Activated
		deviceType:                 <DVTDeviceType:0x7f8cbd4ee790 Xcode.DeviceType.iPhone>
		supportedDeviceFamilies:    (
)
		applications:              (null)
		provisioningProfiles:      (null)
		activityProgress:          -2
		activityTitle:             
		hasInternalSupport:        NO
		isSupportedOS:             YES
		developerDiskMountError:   (null)
(null)
	} (9.3.2 (13F69))
12:42:02.771 xcodebuild[17827:6437112] 	/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild
build
test
-project
/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/appium-xcuitest-driver/WebDriverAgent/WebDriverAgent.xcodeproj
-scheme
WebDriverAgentRunner
-destination
id=<UDID>
-configuration
Debug
12:42:02.771 xcodebuild[17827:6437112] Launching with Xcode.IDEFoundation.Launcher.PosixSpawn
12:42:02.772 xcodebuild[17827:6437112] Initializing test infrastructure.
12:42:03.011 xcodebuild[17827:6437112] Test operation failure: Test operation was canceled.
12:42:03.011 xcodebuild[17827:6437112] _finishWithError:Error Domain=IDETestOperationsObserverErrorDomain Code=3 "Test operation was canceled." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Test operation was canceled.} didCancel: 1

I do not understand why it says that the provisioning profile is null? I confirmed with a dev that the device is signed with a provisioning prfile, and also manually copied the list of Provisioning Profiles to ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles

Thanks, @TheChell

I do think youā€™ll want Carthage to be in the WebDriverAgent folder, but it looks like we need to figure out how to tell Appium to look there for Carthage rather than in /usr/local/bin/. I currently do not know how to instruct Appium to look in the WebDriverAgent folder for Carthage rather than in /usr/local/bin/.

Iā€™ll look further into this. Maybe Iā€™m wrong, but it does make sense considering that you, @crujzo and I are all getting code 65 errors and none of us
A) have Carthage installed in the WebDriverAgent folder
and/or
B) have Appium configured to look for Carthage in the WebDriverAgent folder

If this is not the cause of our problems, Iā€™ll truly be at a loss. Iā€™ve been stuck on this for almost a month now and nothing else Iā€™ve tried is getting rid of this error.

Iā€™ll also note that when I run which carthage, the output is /usr/local/bin/carthage

Iā€™m seeing this too. WebDriverAgent gets installed on the simulator, opens, and then fails with code 65 without opening my app. My app does get installed thoughā€¦

Were you able to resolve this issue?

Edit: Never mind - I resolved the issue: Xcodebuild failed with code 65 (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information) Command duration or timeout: 32.63 seconds

@TheChell @crujzo

I can finally get the app to run on the simulator! (Iā€™ll get to real devices next) I was able to do it with Carthage installed at /usr/local/bin/carthage - I did not have to move it to the WebDriverAgent folder.

First I reinstalled appium-xcuitest-driver:
npm install appium-xcuitest-driver

I noticed that the app was trying to open was wasnā€™t quite getting there. Turns out there was a miscommunication over the bundle ID. I updated that and now I can run the app on the simulator. So definitely double check bundle id, and make sure youā€™re pointing to .app / .ipa as appropriate. (Just adding this because itā€™s a common mistake for me.)

@chiwhitesox56, glad to hear youā€™ve made some progress and thank you for sharing your steps. I donā€™t believe my error is quite the same, however I did try uninstalling and reinstalling everything appium related ha.

At this point, I am only trying to successfully build the WebDriverAgent project in Xcode. I have gotten the errors down to two:

I still cannot figure out how to get rid of that signing error for WebDriverAgentRunner. I have the ProjectSettings.xcconfig file set just under the WebDriverAgent itself. And that xcconfig file is targeting both WebDriverAgentLib and WebDriverAgentRunner.

1 Like
  1. Make sure you are signed in with developer account in Xcode.
  2. Navidate to the folder </path/to/appium>/node_modules/appium-xcuitest-driver/WebDriverAgent/
  3. Open the WebDriverAgent.xcodeproj project in Xcode.
  4. Change the bunlder identifier for WebDriverAgentLib, WebDriverAgentRunner from com.facebook.Webdriver** to your choice so you can sign it with your provisioning profile.
  5. Build the project for WebDriverAgentLib, WebDriverAgentRunner and IntegrationApp targets.
  6. On the terminal, navigate to </path/to/appium>/node_modules/appium-xcuitest-driver/WebDriverAgent/ and run xcodebuild -project WebDriverAgent.xcodeproj -scheme WebDriverAgentRunner -destination ā€˜id=ā€™ test
  7. Last line in the logs should read Listening on USB.
  8. Now run your appium scripts.

Refer to http://stackoverflow.com/a/41628500/4066289

Reinstall appium
npm install -g [email protected]
move to usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium/node_modules/
run sudo npm install [email protected]
Replace [email protected] which will present inside node-modules with the folder present inside the appium.
open appium-xcuitest-driver/WebDriverAgent/WebDriverAgent.xcodeproj and run the commands
mkdir -p Resources/WebDriverAgent.bundle
sh ./Scripts/bootstrap.sh -d

In xcode sign all the three module

1. WebDrivetAgentLib
    2.WebDriverAgentRunner
    3.IntegrationApp

After above steps run appium on terminal and start your script

ayudaaaaa mi correo es : [email protected]

Iā€™m sorry @vanessa, but I donā€™t understand your question. Iā€™ll be happy to help if I can. Can you please clarify?

Hi ,

I did the settings as mentioned above but while running the test case, I am getting below error:

Xcode]
Testing failed:
No signing certificate ā€œiOS Developmentā€ found: No ā€œiOS Developmentā€ signing certificate matching team ID ā€œXXXXā€ with a private key was found.

[Xcode] ** TEST FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
Check dependencies
(1 failure)

[XCUITest] xcodebuild exited with code ā€˜65ā€™ and signal ā€˜nullā€™
[XCUITest] Error: xcodebuild failed with code 65
at SubProcess. (ā€¦/ā€¦/lib/webdriveragent.js:332:25)
at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
at SubProcess.emit (events.js:194:7)
at ChildProcess. (ā€¦/ā€¦/lib/teen_process.js:197:14)
at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:194:7)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:215:12)
Error: xcodebuild failed with code 65
[XCUITest] Shutting down sub-processes
[XCUITest] Shutting down Logger process (pid 21868)
[XCUITest] System log exited with code ā€˜0ā€™
[debug] [XCUITest] Running ios real device reset flow
[debug] [XCUITest] Resetting simulator
[debug] [iOSLog] Stopping iOS log capture
(node:15883) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection (rejection id: 31): Error: Canā€™t stop process; itā€™s not currently running
[MJSONWP] Encountered internal error running command: Error: xcodebuild failed with code 65

You can find your Team ID using your developer account. Sign in to Sign In - Apple, and click Membership in the sidebar. Your Team ID appears in the Membership Information section under the team name.

Hi,
I still get the error (After setting all provisioning profiles), but not consistently.
Ican run 20 scenarios without any problem, and then unexpectedly i getting the error.
Only after restarting device and the mac i works.
Does anyone experienced same issue?
Does anyone has a solution?

Environment:
Appium 1.6.5
Real IOS devices IPhone 6.
Java Client 5BETA8
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi colleagues,
I have met the same issue. After a number of tests, Appium fails to start testing with code 65. My testing setup includes restarting of the Appium every time the test scenario is started. Also, I have tried a number of devices - iPhone 5s and two different iPhone 6 Plus. The issue reproduces for all of them. By the way, for iPhone 5s it is much easier is to reproduce the issue.

Edited:
Does anyone know if that issue has the related GitHub item?

1 Like

@iharT
Did you find any workaround?
Thanks!

Yes ,I am also facing same issue, after restarting device it is working fine.

@JAYESH_BHOR - Thanks you for your response.
I tried to restart the devices and it doesnā€™t work for me.
I even try manually and using idevicediagnostics restart and it doesnā€™t work.
Any other options?

Thanks a lot,
Eitan.

Error code 65 is the signing issue.you need to sign it properly with the same developer account (Certificate and profile) which is used to build the app.